I didn't authorise these purchases...! (FIFA 12)

I haven't even logged into my XBL account for a few weeks, but this morning I recieved an email saying that I had authorised two payments to Microsoft for purchases of 6000 and 1000 points.

I've just looked on my account here and it says that I've purchased flippin' FIFA 12 packs! I don't even play FIFA, I hate football games!

Having called up Customer Services earlier in the day, I was told that I hadn't passed their security checks and they wouldn't help me as they didn't believe I was the account holder. Bloody cheek of it! You flippin' let someone use my account without my knowing and STEAL MONEY FROM ME! How dare you tell me who I am not when you won't even keep my account secure!

What's the ETA on getting this sorted out? That was the last of my money Microsoft have taken from me before payday, I've got bills to pay and I need to eat. I also hope Microsoft will be cooperating with both my bank and Paypal to ensure any extra charges are covered or reversed.

I feel disgusted and violated, and have been made to feel even worse by Customer Services who accuse me of lying.

Do any representatives of Xbox visit and respond on this forum?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Hey there, I recommend you change your password immediately. You should also call Xbox Support again and inform them that you have unauthorised purchases on your account. They will be able to investigate and should give you your points back. (support.xbox.com/call-us)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers Callumpy. I changed my password and security answers straight away! It's not the points - it's the money that upsets me. I only add points when I want certain DLC, so I don't want those back at all as I never wanted them.

I'm going to try calling them again tomorrow morning before work, but I don't hold much hope that they'll help me. They were pretty rude today!

Sorry this didn't help.

If they don't help you you probably could put up a lawsuit against them. As you said you had payments for a load of MS points, so I take it you have your card linked up to your account which is a massive bit of proof that it is your account... and its definitely against the law to steal somebodies card info and use it to buy stuff. Usually when you call up they would lock down your account and investigate further into it, and they should refund you your money that was stolen.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just call support...

I did earlier and they helped a ton....they said I will be reimbursed when the situation is over

Sorry this didn't help.

Hopefully you have friend who can borrow you some money to pay with bills for a bit, it might take a month or two for you to get that money back.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Moshii - just wanted to let you know that yes, we do monitor this forum! However, with Unauthorized Access claims, we're not able to help - those are handled by our Phone Support team almost exclusively. You mentioned that you called - good! They should be able to help you from there. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Update on this issue:

I called Customer Services again and spoke to a chap called Hugo, who was far more sympathetic. I'm sorry for sounding so frantic here but I was really upset and angry.

Under advice from a friend who works on the fraud team for Lloyd's I informed my bank who stopped me getting charged, and also informed Paypal. Paypal have taken the money back from Microsoft and have frozen it whilst they wait for them to agree that yes, this was not me making these purchases. The same friend has advised me to talk to the financial ombudsman if I don't hear anything further within the 4 weeks I was promised on the phone.

I am a bit concerned at the enormous lengths of time that unsuspended my account and getting the money back to me will probably take. Hugo told me that they need to check that the issue occured on an Xbox that was "not my usual console." I don't personally see how this can take so long: I can see the console ID of by going to the Transfer Purchases page here on xbox.com and by comparing it to my own console I can see that it's - guess what? - not mine!

I'm sure if they check properly they'll see the same console ID being reported for other unauthorised access cases.

I will point out here that I previously worked at another major console company's office where IP addresses and console IDs were easily traced, and we were able to sort out issues like this within minutes. This malarkey has left me seriously unimpressed.  It also seems that there's not been any admission that this is a widespread issue; yet I can see hundreds of similar cases on this forum and elsewhere. I want to get my case sorted out, and quickly, but wouldn't it be better for Microsoft to admit that there has been a fault, block the consoles and account holders at fault and refund/unsuspend victims such as myself? There are scores of people who have had money stolen from them and it feels like they're being blamed.

Time to call Watchdog, maybe.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is apparently an under reported security breach epidemic.  I have seen several threads on this -- after it happened to me on 10/29.  I just happened to log in while they were buying FIFA stuff with the 4,000 point balance I already had.  I immediately called and the lady was able to stop them before they bought points off my credit card.  I got the same story about it taking 25 days.  If it takes 25 days to look at the console ID that spent the points, and others are reporting this problem, I can only surmise that this is happening to a lot of people.

I have my account back, but my buying privileges are suspended until the fraud team resolves the issue.  This is hurting MS as well as me because while I can't buy DLC, they can't sell me any either.  

Microsoft folks, we need a security fix on this ASAP.  Since this involves a particular EA game, they shold be helping ou to fix it. You can see on my profile here that I recently played FIFA 12 -- I haven't and don't evn own the game.

Sorry this didn't help.

That little Fifa emblem stings, doesn't it auburnlaw? I really wish they'd remove that and the cheevos from my profile - it makes me feel sick to see it knowing that someone else used my account to get them. I've never played or liked FIFA so it's like a double insult. ;)

Another thought that chills me is that whoever broke in could have mined my friendslist for their details too. By pretending to be me it would be easy to find out details about their secret questions, etc. (I assume how this person entered my account was with that as they managed to regain access to my account a few times before I changed my secret question again.) I've advised all of my friends on XBL to remove their credit card details and use prepaid cards only, or remove details after they purchase things. Once this mess is over I'll be asking Microsoft to remove my payment details from the system.

Sorry this didn't help.

lol I am actually a little more upset about the FIFA 12 achievements because those are now stuck with us for good. I know eventually I should be able to get my money back, even though from what I hear I might not get the original points on my account, but I will for sure not be getting those removed and I hate soccer.

Sorry this didn't help.