I cannot access my xbox live account on my xbox.

Last night I tried logging in to my Xbox live account on my Xbox to watch Netflix. Once I entered my pass-code it began logging in, then a screen appeared saying I had to sign in with my email and password to my live account to check and update the security of my Xbox profile. I finished entering my correct email and password (which I have already tried changing, just to see if it would resolve the problem) then asked me if i wanted it to remember the password, then selected next, I was greeted with a screen saying that my password is wrong or that the email address is not linked to and Xbox live account with the code: 80048821 (Which I know the password is correct because I can sign into windows live and Xbox.com and the email is correct as well). I then tried deleting the account and re-downloading it to see if it would resolve the problem, but it did not. I have figured out that I can still use Xbox live if i exit the process once entering the password, but I would like to be able to easily sign in without having to go through this process every time. Please help if you can.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

Hi Xysiv! This tends to be a temporary error, but you can typically solve it by verifying your proofs. You can do this by visiting http://account.live.com, signing in, then checking your proofs that they are correct. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Okay, so I've done that, but it didn't work so I gave up on xbox for the past month, but now I am trying to go back, but when I tried signing in on xbox with this profile, it would just say that the password was incorrect, but I had ensured that it was right several times, eventually I changed the password and tried again and continued saying the password was incorrect. I then decided I would delete and redownload the account, but now every time I try it says it cannot download live accounts at this time, so i waited, but still, didn't work, i ensured the internet was working on the xbox, and it was, I waited a few days, and it still says that it cannot download live profiles, so I deleted a few live accounts off the console, and still won't work. I have gold on the account which I cannot use, and games I cannot continue on. Please help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you please turn off Two Factor Authentication at http://account.live.com under Security Information ?

Sorry this didn't help.

It was never turned on?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then, likely there's information missing in the Security Info section at http://account.live.com - could you please make sure there's a cellphone number listed under Phone Number, an email addresse which is NOT your Microsoft Account addresse under Alternate email addresse, and a Security Question and its Secret Answer specified there? Please also verify the phone number and email addresse if they show as unverified. 

If you need help with that, call Option 2 at your nation's support number listed in the first link below. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Why? Microsoft Accounts now require 'proof' data. This is wise given that off-the-shelf hardware and easily found open source software can crack passwords in very little time (see arstechnica.com/.../25-gpu-cluster-cracks-every-standard-windows-password-in-6-hours ).

So, since Microsoft is security minded and protects your account data, they added proofs to secure your account. And, since Xbox LIVE accounts are built on top of Microsoft Account security, that applies to gamers like you and me. Proofs are:

1) A phone # (preferably a cell # to text you a message - very convenient when away from home)

2) An alternate email address (which can be used to send a password reset confirmation to)

3) A 'Trusted Device' (Optional)

4) A Security Question and Secret Answer

If you don't have 1, 2 & 4  filled in, you will be required to do to, so visiting http://account.live.com/ and clicking on Edit security info is a good idea. answers.microsoft.com/.../79321863-cf01-44f3-a181-87f531c5129e

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, so I had it all filled in, everything was complete,verified, and filled in. I ensured it was quite a few times before hand. However I know have access to the account and Live through my xbox now. I was at my friends when it happened, I tried to sign in and said the account wasn't on the xbox, but it was, so we deleted it, and tried downloading it again, but did not work, I decided I would just download my other account (which is this accounts parent email) and then it gave me the option of 2 other accounts, including this  one to download, so I chose this one, and it worked, I did the same at home, and worked. But nonetheless, thank you for all your help.

Sorry this didn't help.