I can't read my PC through the XBox

I was able to use Media Center through my PC and XBox, now all of the sudden it is not working, I had this problem with my old PC before and was never able to fix the issue. Hopefully somebody can help me out with this. I am using Windows 7 and have McAffe installed as well.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Can try to disable any firewalls that are running on the PC see if the Xbox is able to see the PC media and then go trouble shooting the firewalls from there.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Make sure that the ports listed here are opened to allow for Media Center connectivity: support.microsoft.com/.../911728

You may also want to see if UPnP is enabled on your router and if not, enable it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are there any error messages displayed when it is unable to connect?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello user,

This is a hunch, but try this:

1.) Uninstall McAfee

2.) Reinstall McAfee

3.) Restart PC.

4.) Press WIN KEY + R

5.) On the Run dialog box, type services.msc

6.) Scroll down and find the following services:

-Windows Windows Media Center Extender Service

-Windows Media Center Receiver Service

-Windows Media Center Scheduler Service

-Windows Media Center Service Launcher

*make sure all these services are "enabled"

If they are not enabled, right-click each of them and select "Start service"

7.) If you still have trouble connecting, turn off the Xbox, turn off your pc. Unplug your router for 15 minutes, and plug it back in. Turn on PC, then turn on Xbox. Try running Windows Media Center.

I can almost guarantee if you finish these steps, it will work again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Playing around with ports and such is a waste of time in most cases.

The reason I said stated to uninstall/reinstall McAfee is, because in most cases if an update to McAfee failed and corrupted even just one component of the antivirus software, it goes into a fail-safe, and does not allow traffic to any new or currently opened ports. If the Windows Media Center services are not running, then the ports are also not open. In some cases, the router can be "finicky" in my opinion, and a simple restart can fix the vast variety of conflicts.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try the troubleshooting steps in the FAQ below

forums.xbox.com/.../30862.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

It may also be worth resetting the DRM components and seeing if that helps.

[quote]

To resolve this issue, restore your computer to the original hardware configuration or to the original BIOS settings. Restoring your computer will probably correct these issues. If you can resolve the DRM issue by restoring your hardware configuration or BIOS settings and if you plan to change hardware components in the future, follow steps 1 through 5 later in this section. If you have not made hardware changes or if restoring the hardware configuration does not correct the issue, follow steps 3 through 5. 

Caution If you go directly to step 3 and you do not have a recent backup of your licenses, you may not be able to play protected files that you previously downloaded. If you experience this issue, contact the content provider to determine how to download new licenses for these files. An example of a content provider is the store where you bought the protected files.

1. Back up your licenses. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. In Microsoft Windows Media Player, on the Tools menu, click Manage Licenses in Windows Media Player 10, or click License Management in Windows Media Player 7.x through Windows Media Player 9. 

To change the backup location, click Change, and then select a location where you want to store backup copies of your licenses.
    2. Click Back Up Now.

Note The license issuer, such as the online store where you bought the protected file, determines whether you are permitted to back up a specific license. Therefore, you may not be able to back up all your licenses. If you cannot back up the license for a particular file, you cannot restore that license after you change your hardware component. If you cannot restore a license, you cannot play the protected file.

For more information, visit the Web site of the license issuer to determine whether they support the Backup and Restore feature of Windows Media DRM.

1. Make the changes that you want to make to your computer hardware.
  2. Reset Windows Media DRM by deleting all the files in the Windows Media DRM folder. Note that the Windows Media DRM folder is a hidden system folder. To view hidden files and folders, follow these steps:

.         Click Start, and then click My Computer.

1. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
  2. Click Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box.

The following are the typical locations of the Windows Media DRM folder, depending on your operating system version:

• Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM
  • Windows 98: C:\Windows\All Users\DRM
  • Windows Millennium Edition: C:\Windows\DRM

If you cannot find the Windows Media DRM folder, the exact location of the folder on the computer is stored in the following registry key. Make sure that this key points to a valid path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DRM\DataPath

Note By default, the path is displayed in binary format. To see the path in plain-text format, double-clickDataPath. In the Edit Binary Value dialog box, the path is displayed in the column on the right.

1. Individualize the Windows Media DRM system.

To install the latest Windows Media DRM components, see the instructions on the following Microsoft Web site:

http://go.microsoft.com/FWLink?LinkID=34506

1. Restore your licenses. To do this, follow these steps:

.                 In Windows Media Player, on the Tools menu, click Manage Licenses if you have Windows Media Player 10, or click License Management if you have Windows Media Player 7.x through Windows Media Player 9.

1. Select the location of the backup copies of your licenses. If you need to, insert the floppy disk where your licenses are stored.
  2. Click Restore Now.

Note This step requires a connection to the Internet. For questions about Windows Media Player and privacy, see the Windows Media Player privacy statement. To display the privacy statement in Windows Media Player, click View Privacy Statement on the Help menu.[/quote] Note that the link to reset your DRM components must be used in Internet Explorer.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem ages ago. The way I fixed it was to put my xbox as a dmz on my router. Just a thought

Sorry this didn't help.

On your pc,I need you to click on start,highlight computer,then right click and go into manage...Once you're in computer management,go to services and applications,double click services.Scroll all the way to the bottom until you see "UPnP Device Host",right click,press start,then restart.After you've finished that,right click and go to properties,set startup-type to automatic,apply and save.Feel free to exit and give media center another shot,this time everything should go smoothly.

Sorry this didn't help.