I can't change the email address associated with my live account

Hi

I want to change the email address associated with my Live account/gamertag.

It is currently an 11 year old hotmail email address I created when i was 15. As you can probably tell it is quite a childish address and because of this i don't use it anymore for anything other than signing into Games for Windows Live (i no longer own an xbox 360).
This is fine for the moment but I am thinking of buying a windows phone and would just like to change the email address to a more sensible one so I only have to manage one account for Live and use a sensible email address when contacting people.

The problem is, when i go to the account settings and click the 'change' button next to my email address I am presented with the error:
"Your Windows Live ID can't be changed
Your Windows Live ID can't be changed at this time"

I read somewhere that Live accounts with hotmail addresses cannot be changed but that seems utterly ridiculous to me.

I just want to change the email address associated with my gamertag, preserving my gamerscore and games for windows live licenses associated with that account.

Thank you for your help.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I've personally never heard of such a thing as not being able to change a ID that was a hotmail, as you can have any e-mail address setup as Windows Live ID. Either way, I believe the only way you can change the e-mail address associated with your gamertag is to change it via an XBOX 360, by recovering the account and then following the directions here > support.xbox.com/.../manage-live-id. I currently know of no other way of doing so, you could contact XBOX Support and explain what's going on and they may be able to assist you further. Information on how to contact XBOX Support can be found here > support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

contacted the support team who replied stating that i have to make this change on an xbox 360 console. apparently they do not have access to email addresses associated with gamertags and there is no way they can change them.

Bit annoyed about this. One live account/gamertag for both xbox and games for windows live but you must have an xbox to manage the actual account. Why is this facility not available on the games for windows dashboard. it is ridiculous.

I will have to find a friend with an xbox who will let me recover my gamer tag to do this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.