I can only connect to xbox live through a game?

Ive only just had this problem with live, my original console is being sent for repairs after i got corrupted from gears 3, so im borrowing one, i cant sign in from the dashboard as it freezes,i have to put a game in then connect, and then i cant go back to the dashboard as this also causes it to freeze, i have to sign out from the game first, i tried alot of things that customer support told me, i tried recovering my gamer tag which was fine till it was supposed to be loading the dash board, n the loader just kept spinning, i cant connect to the market place even through a game, as this causes it to freeze, clearing the cache and all doesnt work, also ive only two things on my dashboard, i rung bt as i was told that it was my ports but they are all fine, and ive been gaming online without a problem for ages prior to this , theres no corrupted files on my harddrive either they were all deleted, any help would be great i noticed on google that somone esle had this problem in may but he didnt say if he ever found the cause .

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Sounds like a bad dashboard update to me.

You can try to download the update manually and install it that way

support.xbox.com/.../system-updates

Only other thing I can say, if you've already talked w/ Support with no luck, is to have that one also sent our for repairs (they will most likely replace the main board which contains the corrupt dashboard)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

would the new update maybe solve this, i no i probably sound stupid here, but does the dashboard update save to the harddrive, cause im using my hardrive,my consolve crashed and then got the red rings, but my dashboard worked fine, and my friend who owns the console was using it fine until he upgraded to a slim, so the xbox didnt have any problems before, so im hoping i havnt trashed it on him :/ i dont think support really understand what im trying to explain, because i can play online i just have to go through the game and all first , thanku im going to try that update thing to see if that works

Sorry this didn't help.

If your HDD came from a system that did not have any on-board memory, Yes, it will store on the HDD.

There are SOME parts of the dashbaord that are stored on the physical console, but not many.

Having said that, the new update may solve this because it will put a BRAND NEW dashboard design on it.

Wait for the new update to go live and give it a shot, if not then I would contact support again and see if they can foreword you to upper level support to get it solved.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok thanku for the help, hopefuli the new dashboard will do the trick :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Nikki! Have you tried removing the hard drive, then powering on the console to see if that freezing issue still persists?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi miss portia, it only freezes when im trying to sign in to live from the dashboard, so i put a game in and then sign in, which is fine for online play, but i cant get back to the dashboard unless i sign out, i tried it with my brothers account and the same thing happens when connecting to live, so i made an offline account and that one doesnt freeze up the dashboard, i cant access the marketplace or anything, i was hoping that the new update will solve it, as im hoping im not going to have to format my hardrive, because i had to delete alot of corrupted stuff off it when my xbox crashed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, it might! But, first, let's try removing the hard drive, as it might be corrupted and causing your issue. Do you have a USB Flash Drive that you can save your profile to? If so, go ahead and do that. Once your profile is on that flash drive, remove the hard drive, then power your console up and see if you're still having the issue. Let us know! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey sorry im only just reading this, I got my new update and im well pleased,its fixed all my problems, everything is working great and i can sign in and out,:) Thanks for all the help though, use were actually more helpful than customer support,keep up the good work :)x

Sorry this didn't help.