I am having trouble with my Hard Drive Transfer Cable

I have signed into XBox Live and checked that I have the latest update, and I still can't get the transfer message to show up.  I've tried unplugging and plugging it back in, restarting the console, and checking my memory settings, and still can't find any way to transfer.  Did I miss something?

I'm trying to transfer from an original hard drive,  and not sure if it matters, but I have a refurbished console from GameStop.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The Ms original cable is a little tricky about that...

You have to put the hd (only fat model hard drive) in the correct position (you have to read one thing most people avoid the instructions manual, there show the correct position).

The method i use to transfer (in 2 times i did) is first conect the Hd to transfer cable second conect in usb port (you can use any  USB port for this!!!), second turn on the Xbox, if you conect right that shows the capacity and asks what you want ( if i remember right shows 3 options: Transfer ALL DATA, copy archives; you can chose the games or archives you want to copy, or the last one, transfer ONLY profiles).

If you plug wrong, the system notices the cable and asks to plug hard drive, the procedement is turn OFF 360, atach again the hd (one caution the hard drive can be pluged in two ways bou have one "corect direction" to make the process work, is a little complicate to explain from my memory, but you have the instructions came along the cable there explain in details(unfortunuly without drawns :(, if is the orginal MS cable that is all the problem you have.

I hope i helped you and forgive my bad english it´s self learnerd.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Vindrex, Boot up the 360 first and give it a few to load. Then plug in your  MS-OEM transfer cable and wait a few. Then secondly attach the older HDD and see if it works for you. Hope that helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

hi here is an easier way to transfer stuff form HDD to HDD

go to settings- system- hard drive- go to cloud ( the hard drive that has a cloud as the logo) and back up your stuff then swap out the hard drive down load your profile then down load your stuff by going to the cloud storage

hope that helped:D

Computer person... also a Mopar technician.
CEO of Independent LLC

Sorry this didn't help.

Only the old software did a wholesale move of data from one drive to another.

The integrated transfer software will allow you to selectively Move items, or you can cancel the process entirely and access the Transfer Cable device from Sytem, Settings, Storage. From Storage you can Copy or Move just as you would with any other storage device.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try c0ncept2's suggestion. Instead of plugging the drive into the cable, then the cable into the console.

Try plugging the cable into a rear USB port, wait 15-20 seconds, then plug the drive into the cable, then wait another 30 seconds or so for the transfer pop-up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just in case no one mentioned yet, Third Party Transfer cables not certified by Microsoft have known issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

Only to fix that!!!

GeneralZap1 is right the third party cables have some inssues whif 360, to fix that you have to look for MS original cable, even if you hrad drive is OEM (in the case of that is change of hd from same machine and that is a "fat" model, because i warning the slim models dosen´t have certificaded OEM hd models!!! and cables for that).

Sorry this didn't help.

Only reading the original question, I have to ask if you have the accompanying CD provided with the transfer cable??  That question goes for DARRAN as well,  Please mind the time stamp or start a new thread.  Thank You and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey senryu I've tried this method a few times now and it only seems to be recognised as a memory pen, it wont recognise as a hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Having trouble with this cable as well. I have tried this like a hundred times already. I am trying to run the memory from a 120gb hd to a 250gb s hd. I have turned the xbox on then put the cable in and then attached the hard drive but still no pop up. The cable has been lent to be by a friend and its the older one with the disk.

Sorry this didn't help.