Howmuch sound may an xbox one make?

Hello,

My xbox makes more noise than I expected it would. Everywhere I've read that it should be really quiet. When I'm playing the witcher I can hear a fan working really hard though. It sounds like one of those old 40mm fans running 5000 RPM in an old PC. I can hear the sound (high pitch) without paying attention to it, at 4m range.

I have placed a 120mm fan next to it to provide some airflow, which helps a little, but is ofcourse not what i had in mind when I bought the console.
The console is 1 week old, and placed in the top of the tv bench: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80297021/. The backside is completely open and the space is 15+cm high.

Is this sound normal? Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

HI Wafelicious, 

Sorry you're having issues with your console. The fans should be very quiet. Sometimes they're audible, but for the most part they're near silent. If you're hearing a very loud fan then something for sure is not right, be it a bad fan, bad bearing, or something else. That said, if it's a new console I would recommend getting it exchanged. If it's an older console you can do a repair here. Warranty is free for the first year, and after that there will be a service fee if you did not purchase complete case. 

Xbox Service Center

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.