How to test LAN hardware

My XBox can't seem to get an IP address.  Things I have tried:

-Gone through the network support tree (restart router, manual IP, etc.) with my Belkin router

-Gone through the network support tree with my Netgear router (and a different root IP address)

-Gone through the network support tree with the XBox connected to my laptop with a network bridge

-Tried multiple LAN cables

The Xbox can tell that a cable is plugged in.  The "wired network" option is checked and hardware lights work on routers.  BUT, the router can't see the XBox.  It doesn't detect anything with the XBox's MAC address whether I use DHCP or manually set an IP address.

I noticed it last week so it doesn't have to do with the latest update.  If it were a PC, I'd try re-installing and/or rolling back the network drivers, but that's not an option.  I do not have a wireless modem or any other USB-based network hardware to plug the XBox into.  Is there some sort of "hard reset" or way to delete any updates that might have changed LAN settings?

In a related question, if I'm stuck with a XBox that can't connect to Live, is there a way to pause my Live membership?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 30 Applies to:

Just to make it official.  This was tried with my Belkin N600 router, my Netgear WGR614 router, and my old Linksys WRT-54G.  I also tried plugging it straight into my cable modem from Time Warner, running it through my Netger WN2000RPT wireless extender, and network bridging it though my Windows Vista laptop.  With all of them, I tried both automatic and manual IP addresses.  So yeah, I'm pretty sure the problem is on the XBox side and not the routers' sides.

The status codes change based on which test I've just run, but the Y: and Z: are always all zeros.  Any magic reset command to revert to factory drivers or should I suspect hardware failure?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I downloaded the current dashboard update to a flash drive and applied it.  The connection did NOT start working, but it provides links to much better support pages and has a much better status report:

W: 0000-000B

X: 4000-0001

Y: 0000-0000

Z: 0000-0000

ID: 0001-0002

L: 8015-1901

Q: 8007-0425

T: Wired

A: 169.254.121.187/255.255.0.0

G: 0.0.0.0

D: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

Other support info questions as above...oh, and this is in Texas, USA.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Box, thank you very much for the thorough posts. To continue, could you let us know the exact error messages you're receiving when you run that LIVE connection test, as well as the support pages that you've been linked to, and what you've tried based on the content from those pages?

Sorry this didn't help.

Specifically, it is the "IP Address Error" that points to the www.xbox.com/ipaddress-help support page.  That page (and the suggestions on the Xbox) take me through the standard sequece of:

-Restart router

-try a static IP address

-check settings on router for DHCP or MAC address filtering

As mentioned in the first post, I tried this with multiple routers and cables.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Based on everything you've tested to date (thanks for the info) I would say that your Xbox is faulty. If you've tried resetting your Xbox network settings to factory defaults and then connecting to different routers using different cables and a modem as well and it still fails after a factory reset with nothing else changed after that I'd say its faulty.

You could try it on a friends router as well but I'm sure it will also fail

Sorry this didn't help.

very good

Sorry this didn't help.