How to play Multiplayer Halo 4 with a local friend

Does anyone have any idea how I can play Halo 4 Multiplayer in splitscreen mode with a friend?  I have Xbox Live Gold, and we've tried signing him in as a Guest, but I keep getting the error that the account doesn't have permission to join Xbox Live.  Thanks so much in advance!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 255 Applies to:

When you sign the second controller and you select Guest, you shouldn't have a problem with the spitscreen. Are you sure that that the second controller isn't sign onto another account?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I contacted Xbox Live support with the same issue. This is what worked for me:

1. Sign out of Xbox LIVE. In the Xbox home screen, go to System -> Storage -> All Devices (or Hard Drive) -> Profiles.
  2. Go through each Profile* and select 'Delete Profile Only.' (DO NOT SELECT 'Delete Profile and Items.') Don't worry, you won't permanently lose any of your achievements or downloads. If your system won't let you delete your profile, restart your system, make sure you are signed out of Xbox Live, and try again.
  3. Make sure you are signed out of any accounts. Then, hit the Xbox button on your controller. Select 'Download Profile.' Enter the e-mail address and password of whatever profile you have that has Xbox Live Gold. It will download all your achievements, and the like.
  4. Sign into your account first, then jump onto Halo 4. From there, you should have no problem logging in a guest for online multiplayer.

Best of luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm blasting this message out in the hopes it helps someone:

I contacted Xbox Live support with the same issue. This is what worked for me:

1. Sign out of Xbox LIVE. In the Xbox home screen, go to System -> Storage -> All Devices (or Hard Drive) -> Profiles.
  2. Go through each Profile* and select 'Delete Profile Only.' (DO NOT SELECT 'Delete Profile and Items.') Don't worry, you won't permanently lose any of your achievements or downloads. If your system won't let you delete your profile, restart your system, make sure you are signed out of Xbox Live, and try again.
  3. Make sure you are signed out of any accounts. Then, hit the Xbox button on your controller. Select 'Download Profile.' Enter the e-mail address and password of whatever profile you have that has Xbox Live Gold. It will download all your achievements, and the like.
  4. Sign into your account first, then jump onto Halo 4. From there, you should have no problem logging in a guest for online multiplayer.

Best of luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks guys! It seems I was just confused about whether my friend needs an Xbox Live Gold account or not, in order to play multiplayer with me.  I was hoping that he didn't need one and could play as a guest, but it seems that he did need to sign up for one in order to play.  Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow... I have no idea how I posted that 4 times. Sorry for the spam <_<

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi! we've done all the steps but it still is not working. What happens after step 4? When we try to sign i guest, it still says sign in with your profile to enable xbox guide.

Sorry this didn't help.

Step 4 is saying to sign in with the primary profile, that has Xbox LIVE, launch Halo 4, and from the lobby you should be able to sign in your guest profile with a second controller.

Sorry this didn't help.