How to get Open Nat Using More Than One Router

I read the sticky above so don't get pissy at me for posting this topic. The sticky talks about double NAT settings if you currently use a router as well as a modem with NAT functionality.

Currently, I have the following set up. 1 cable modem, 1 Microsft router attached directly to the cable modem, and one wireless router which is connected directly to the Microsoft Router, but is located in the top floor of my house. Finally, the xbox 360 is connected through a wire to the wireless router. 

Currently I have port forwarding enabled on the wireless router which is connected directly to the xbox. I also have DMZ enabled  for the IP address of the xbox as well as UPnP.

Here is where I am getting stuck. I know for a fact that my wireless router has nothing to do with my NAT being moderate. I bypassed the router one day just to check to see if it was the problem and it was still coming up as Moderate. Thus, I know the wired Microsoft Router is the problem.

I go down stairs to the computer that is connected to the wired router and I look into the settings to allow port forwarding as well as UPnP etc... The IP address box ONLY allows me to input an IP address that follows this format....  192.168.2._   My xbox uses an ip address on 192.168.1._   How could I possibly forward the ports on the xbox when I can't even type in its IP address in the box?

If I'm missing something here I would appreciate the help. I've searched all over the place and cannot find any information on this.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hi, the first question is.. why two routers because you will still be doing NAT'ing maybe even triple? And secondly can you post all of the make/model of kit your using. your modem and both routers

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The only reason I have two routers is because we have multiple computers in the house. The router down stairs that is connected to the modem splits the connection to the computer that is in the same room as it , as well as sending lines to all the other rooms in the house. The second router is wireless, and splits the connection for all the devices I have in my room that need separate wired lines.

I need to get home in order to check exact models, but I will do that asap. Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok well if the router downstairs is just used to provide a wired connection to a PC (or PC's) you could replace that with a cheap switch and sell that downstairs router.

So you could have this:-

Modem wired to cheap 4 or 5 port ethernet switch downstairs (you can pick these up for very cheap)

Cheap ethernet switch downstairs wired to PC downstairs and wired to the upstairs router

Upstairs router providing wired/wireless

You may still need more work to get your NAT open but that would certainly make things a lot easier to sort out, but yeah please post up the make/models when you get chance,  but I would certainly looking and making it more simple and taking a router out of the set-up.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll take your advice in the meantime and grab a cheap switch. I figure this most likely will solve the problem.

I'm not a networking guru but I know a little bit about it. I'm now scratching my head as to why I didn't see this before. Having two routers is meaningless. I'll swap the wireless one downstairs and stick a switch in my room.

Most likely this should solve this issue. I'll update when I get home.

Thanks a bunch for the responses.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks man. This did the trick. Nat is now OPEN! Finally :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Great stuff

Sorry this didn't help.