How to fix Wireless connectivity problem since update (please sticky)

Hey everyone. Ive been searching the forums a lot as i had a problem many people had or are currently having. Which is since the update around 24-28th of may time when the update launched which everyone connected to live got in that period of time. The update was suppose to support a new disk format through a software update. I think that microsoft may have made this update for better security seing as PSN was hacked last month. The reason why i think this is because the soultion to this is that you must change your password securtiy on your router to a later version which im guessing is more secure, hense why microsoft make you change this. I found the solution to my problem from searching the forums and finding solutions people posted many thanks for the help.

I dont know why Microsoft didnt tell us this, it has led a lot of people to not being able to not connect like me. The problem is most people and maybe some of you reading this may have no clue what to do with router settings which is a big problem. So Microsoft have made it complicated for us.

However the problem i had and solution to it is actually pretty simple if you know what you are doing.

What this post is for is if you had the same problem as me which i think that is the case i want to try and help so that everyone knows what to do simply. Hopefully Microsoft can sticky this.

My router password protection key was old, it was the WPA, I had to change to the later version to the WPA2-AES.

How to fix

What you must do is change your router settings. To do this you must go on the computer that is wired connected to your modem/router. Then you enter your IP address in the address bar on your internet browser. To find out your IP address go to Start>Accessories<Command Prompt. Then enter ipconfig. This will tell your IP address.

Then you go to your WI-FI password protection settings. Then change the WPA to WPA2-AES.

Now you will be wondering how do i get to my WI-FI password protection settings. Well this varies from different routers. I will try to keep this OP updated and post links how to from your chosen router.

Hope this helps :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Thank you ! worked like a charm !

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am going to call Xbox Support tomorrow to see what they say about the whole router encryption thing.  It's not that I don't believe you, I do but when I called on the 26th they were "fairly confident" that the update had nothing to do with it.  So I wanna bring it up to them and hear how they respond.

Sorry this didn't help.

For anyone looking for help read this thread! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Madx soooooooo  much!!!!!!!! You are my hero. Did you know I spent an hour with xboxlive support with no sucess not to mention I went to best buy where I had a warranty for my xbox and they took my limited edition halo console and swapped it for a refurbished 360s. All they needed to tell me was to change my password protection settings. I'm pissed!!!! Grrrrrrr.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was "lucky" enough to be in the very first wave of updates, so I haven't been able to connect to wifi since then...

I still can't...

If I do this, will I have to reset all of my other wireless devices?  Because I cannot do that...

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks this helped me out as well. I was about to throw my xbox out the window very soon :)

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks this helped me out as well. I was about to throw my xbox out the window very soon :)

Sorry this didn't help.