How to fill up 250gb of space?

Hello all,

So I just got a 250gb slim xbox and am running into issues. I don't know how the **** I could even come close to filling up that space. (i have no credit card, so buying/DLing stuff is out of the question).

I could put some of the many movies I have on my computer onto the xbox; they're in MKV but I suppose converting wouldn't be hard. And then there's the amusingly stupid lack of support for NTFS, so there'd be no way to actually GET it to the HDD. And streaming would be redundant and useless to me.

I suppose I could put my 7000+ song music library on the thing. But there's no point, and even if there were, it doesn't support FLAC, which much of my library consists of.

Installing games to the thing seems rather unnecessary, would take days to do, and would only use a small portion of the space.

So I'm stuck. I have no clue what to do. If the damn thing would support ntfs, there would be no problem using it to the fullest. But I feel like this is wasted money (that they FORCE you to spend).

(TL;DR and actual question): What does everyone else use their HDDs for? And any ideas for me?

Thanks!

---Sean

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="HolyDiver 665"]I don't know how the **** I could even come close to filling up that space.[/quote]Installing 30 DVD-based titles will do the trick.[quote]I could put some of the many movies I have on my computer onto the xbox;[/quote]No, you couldn't. There's no way to put user content on the 360's HDD or USB Memory Units. [quote]Installing games to the thing seems rather unnecessary,[/quote]Then you're not very familiar with the fragility of the DVD drive. Extended usage wears it out quite quickly.[quote]would take days to do,[/quote]10-15 minutes per DVD, so about 7.5 hrs.[quote]and would only use a small portion of the space.[/quote]With rare exception, DVD-based games are 6.5 to 7.5GB in size.[quote]But I feel like this is wasted money (that they FORCE you to spend).[/quote]No one forced you to buy a 250GB console. You could have purchased the 4GB model.

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

No, you couldn't. There's no way to put user content on the 360's HDD or USB Memory Units. [/quote]

Well, I didn't know that. I'm used to the idea of things being able to actually PLAY media. I guess I just expected it to me more like a computer than it really is. *shrug*

[quote]Then you're not very familiar with the fragility of the DVD drive. Extended usage wears it out quite quickly.[/quote]

I expect HDDs to be far more fragile than simple disk drives. Must not be the case.

[quote]With rare exception, DVD-based games are 6.5 to 7.5GB in size.[/quote]

Exactly. Even if I installed every game I play, I would use no more than 100gb by your figures. Still 150 left.

[quote]No one forced you to buy a 250GB console. You could have purchased the 4GB model.[/quote]

I had the 4gb model. It sucked. Stupid thing is treated like a flash drive so you lose SO much funtionality, it's stupid. Goodbye legacy support, goodbye replays and many other visually pleasing functions in games. And goodbye to even playing certain games online. So yes, that is forced. Especially with the lack of smaller HDD sizes, like previous xbox versions. 

[quote user="HolyDiver 665"]Well, I didn't know that. I'm used to the idea of things being able to actually PLAY media.[/quote]It will play mainstream media just fine from a FAT32 or HFS+ volume. The trusted, writable storage of a HDD or USB Memory Unit is reserved for content either created by the 360 (ripped audio CD, user saves, user profiles) or Marketplace content.[quote]I guess I just expected it to me more like a computer than it really is. *shrug*[/quote]The 360 is a console, not a general purpose device. Microsoft has gone out of their way to distance it from the PC.[quote]I expect HDDs to be far more fragile than simple disk drives. Must not be the case.[/quote]Why? HDDs are designed to spin at 5400 to 15k RPM constantly for their entire lifespans. DVD drives are meant to spin at high speed to perform installs and at low speeds for playback. There is no other consumer device that attempts to spin DVDs at high rates of speed continuously.[quote]So yes, that is forced. Especially with the lack of smaller HDD sizes, like previous xbox versions.[/quote]Smaller drives aren't less expensive. There's a minimum floor after which drive prices do not decrease.

So, for some reason, you feel the need to fill your HDD to capacity immediately?

Most people would want higher capacity storage to "future-proof" their console and free themselves from the limitations of insufficient storage. I've never seen anyone that regards some excess storage capability as a limitation in itself.

I guess it takes all kinds, but it does seem to be a strange thing to be complaining about.

O only have 41gb left on my 250gb. It's mostly installed games though.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

I have probably 350mb left and not only is it from some game installations but I also own over a couple thousand dollars in digital content. I have never understood why console brands are so stingy with storage. It's not all that expensive and even 150.00 budget laptops give you more space than these 6 and 7 year old console brands do while selling you very dated technology for hundreds of dollars still. The lack of storage is really limiting my marketplace spending. All they are doing is limiting what I can spend on their marketplace because I have nowhere to store it.

The 360 is a console, not a general purpose device. Microsoft has gone out of their way to distance it from the PC. NO. WRONG. They want to make it an entertainment hub, why else all the Apps for Net-Flix,ESPN, and various other things that people have gone out of the way to say they DON'T WANT? A console should play games and games only, PERIOD.

Which is where I think they could get themselves in trouble. Everything is supporting apps now from Televisions to Blu-Ray players to Android and Apple set top boxes. Soon there are going to be Android gaming consoles selling for right around 100.00. This whole app thing as a selling point is going to become very irrelevant, very fast. The problem is, so far Microsoft has not focused on a game library in quite some time and that us the one thing that can set your product apart from other electronics offering basically the same exact things.

I have 19gb left on my 320gb need a bigger hdd or a new console soon

just do what you plan on doing with it and don't worry about it.