How to change the region in my XBox Live Account?

Yes, I know it is not possible - at least Microsoft moderators will try to claim it but it is a lie.

What's the problem? I have my Xbox Live account associated with my Microsoft account for almost six years. I bought my Xbox almost four years before Xbox Live was officially introduced in my country. As many others I used address from supported country to register to Xbox Live and use my legal Xbox with legal games. The address wasn't made-up. I indeed lived there for a while.

My Microsoft account (formerly Windows Live ID and .NET Passport before that) exists for a long time - much longer then my Xbox live account. I have many services associated with the account and I'm not going to change it. My most recent service is quite important for Microsoft - it is Windows 8 from MSDN.

The problem is that Windows 8 use both Microsoft account and Xbox Live ID for some services. If Xbox Live ID's region do not match region of your computer it simply doesn't work:

Your Xbox profice doesn't match your Windows region. Go to control panel, Clock, language and region, change location, select United Kingdom, then restart the application.

What a wonderful help! Except simple detail - I'm not going to change my computer location. I want to change region of my Xbox Live account! That goes back to the claim that it is not possible. Well it is - after Xbox Live was introduced in my country it was possible to migrate account to different region directly on xbox.com web page. I don't understand why this option is not available permanently especially where it has impact on user experience with Windows 8 and Windows Phone devices!

Best regards,

Ladislav

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 2,029 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You cant change the region of the account

Those wwere one time change and people werent protecting their accounts properly and the tools were abused

If you wanted to change the region off your accounts you shouldve done its before the tool was turned off

At this time there is no way to change the region off your account

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

He probably couldn't change it as you have to wait a year between each change .

Sorry this didn't help.

Account migration was discontinued permanently because it was problematic. It is no longer available.

Sorry this didn't help.

you could only do the migration once and only to the 9 new regions

he wanted to goto the newly supported region not existing

he should've used the tool when it was available

it was a one time use tool

Sorry this didn't help.

Guys I appreciate your answers but I'm not looking for help from community - community can only tell me that it is not currently possible. I'm looking for help from Microsoft to resolve the issue because I'm in dead end and this situation has negative effect on my Windows experience.

I have Microsoft Account (Windows Live ID) associated with many services and I'm using this account to log into Windows 8. Unfortunately this account is associated with my Xbox Live account as well. When I log into my computer I cannot log in into several applications like Games, Music and Video because my Xbox Live account has different region than my PC's location. If I change the location of my PC in regional settings applications delivering the content will immediately switch their sources as well and start delivering content from different country.

I don't have any way to fix it because I cannot change region in my Xbox Live account and I cannot replace my current Xbox live account without loosing all save games and purchased content. I also cannot replace my Microsoft account due to binding to other services.

This will become a problem for many people after Windows 8 comes to retail. Also I don't understand why these accounts should not support moving to different country - it is quite common these days.

This system level binding to region configured in the computer is a big failure. Region should be possible to set per application and everything would be solved even without migration of the account.

Ladislav Mrnka

Sorry this didn't help.

MS will tell you the same thing we told you once a region is set it cannot be changed your only option is to create a new one but with the exception of avatar items anything you had downloaded on the other should be accessible on the new one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Personally I don't have any knowledge of you being able to change a region where an account is set, I know a few people who maintain separate accounts for when they travel to another country they stay in a lot. The only thing I think anybody here can really suggest is to get hold of the xbox support team and ask for their help, if anybody can fix your issue it will be them. Simply go to the support menu at the top of the website and select "Contact Us".

From there you can start a live chat with an agent who will try to help you to the best of their ability. I've had to use them a few times and they're extremely friendly, helpful and professional, so don't worry about talking to them about it. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

@ladicek

its simple international laws on distribution and copyright

they do not cross borders as every law is different and not every country allow the same content

if you really want ask your local IT person or congressman its the same answer

OSes are region specific

region migrating is not something that is a technical issue is not a technical failure

its an LEGAL issue

EU doesn't allow NA OSes specially windows you do need the EU version and that is a LEGAL issue

Sorry this didn't help.

@Mexpha contacting support about this would be a waste of time, as stated numerous times now, the option to migrate an account to a new Xbox Live region was temporary offer. The system was abused and then shut down. This option not available anymore, no if's, no buts, no maybe's.

Sorry this didn't help.

@davemclfy85: But it also requires creating a new Microsoft Account because I cannot have two Xbox Live accounts associated with a single Microsoft account. I believe MS will try to integrate Xbox more into Windows platform and with one account for gaming and second for Windows I will lose that feature completely. When I divide my accounts (I have already found a description how to do that) I will break any possible integration if I not decide to throw away the original XBox account and start using the new one. I hope that every gamer on this side understands that it is a very bad solution.

@Mexpha: I have already tried it. Because it is a problem related to Windows 8, Xbox Support will not help me and because it is problem related to Xbox account, Windows support will not help me.

@ngocphi: That is an interesting point. But I disagree to call something legal issue now when it was possible and legal before. Also your comparison with NA vs EU OSes is not correct. As a developer and MSDN subscriber I have access to NA OS for download from MSDN (Microsoft site) - no legal issue to get OS with preinstalled Internet Explorer which is not available for retail in EU. Moreover after migration of Xbox account you lost possibility to download the content not available in the new country so the legal issue doesn't exist once you accept these terms and I would gladly accept them.

Ladislav Mrnka

Sorry this didn't help.