How to associate a new child gamertag to an existing offline profile so game scores are retained

I have an XBox Live account with a gamertag. My son has an offline profile with lots of accumulated game scores. He wants to have his own gamertag. Of course, he wants his offline profile to be associated with it so he can retain his game scores.

Here are my requirements:

1. I want him to be able to retain the game scores from his offline profile.
2. Because he is a child, I do not want him to have his own Windows Live ID.
3. I want his gamertag to be a gamertag for a child, with my gamertag as its "parent."

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to accomplish this.

This is what I tried:

* I created a new child gamertag via the XBox website. However, I can't find a way to associate his offline profile with it.

* Using the XBox, I tried to create a new gamertag using his offline profile (using the "Join XBox Live" menu option). It prompted me for an e-mail address and password. When I put in my Windows Live e-mail credentials (the ones my gamertag is associated with), it complains that another gamertag is already associated with them. If I put in the e-mail credentials for the child gamertag I created above, it complains that another gamertag is already associated with them.

I realize I can "retrieve gamertag" on the XBox to associate the new child gamertag with our XBox, but big whoop. The key here is retaining his game scores.

How do I accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 61 Applies to:

why not just make the offline account an online one because if you create a new account you cannot merge or transfer anything from the offline one to the new one.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

> why not just make the offline account an online one

How do you do that?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would just promote your childs account from a FREE silver account to a GOLD account. His account will need its own e-mail and password as there is only ONE account allowed per e-mail. I also would not give him that information. There are many people on XBL who play certain games, such as WaW and MW2, who would try to solicit ms points and/or subscription time from him in exchange for higher rankings.

Join XBL

Here a few more links to help you help your son have a more pleasant experience on XBL:

Improving Console Safety - Xbox.com

Online safety and privacy

Get Game Smart: Home

Sorry this didn't help.

> I would just promote your childs account from a FREE silver account to a GOLD account.

How would that solve my problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would suggest upgrading your XBL Gold to a Family Gold membership, this will give you great control of what your kids are doing at the same time share MS Points. I have Famil Gold membership which means both of my kids and wife have XBL Gold membership. I had the same issue with my son's GamerTag which was offline and had decent achievement. You will need a hotmail account or passport for your son.

support.xbox.com/.../how-to-join-family-pack.aspx

If you need step by step guide do let us know and I will do my best to help you with it!

MozzKhan

Sorry this didn't help.