How the networking all works

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. Questions about lag issues makes me wonder just how far we zigzag through networks before we finally reach our destination ( the actual mp game we play)

When we pop in a game such as black ops 2 , (or pretty much any multiplayer game, but I'll use this as an example) we connect to xbox live first and then to whatever game servers. I assume that all our interaction is done through xbox live servers. So what I'm getting at is say I decide to play blops2 with a friend who lives 10 miles from me. We connect to xbox live. then to blops where we go through their matchmaking. If one of us is host , supposedly we are connected directly to each other.

But I know the path isnt a straight line. I know my connection has to travel first to my isp servers and then makes a few zig zags along the way. But how far out of the way does it actually go?

Does our connection to each other have to travel all the way to washington through xbox servers and then back to ohio to connect with the other?

I dont really know how to ask the question or if I'm getting it across. I'm looking for a basic roadmap of our treip to one another during gameplay. I've been googling the question, but cant seem to get the right search terms that bring up anything remotely relevent to the subject.

Any help here?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Greetings.

Are you having any trouble connecting, or relating to Xbox LIVE in terms of connection?

Post back and let us know! :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Nothing other than laggy games sometimes.

I have the links for setting up a the router etc, for the best performance so I'm good there too.

We were having a discussion though about playing with friends who were more local to minimize lag as much as possiblty. Only problem with that idea though is if we are being routed somewhere across country first through xbox, it would be kind of pointless.

We thought if we could get some idea of how the whole thing worked, we may be able to select friends or party up with people  in some manner to get the most out of the service.

Thanks .....

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.