How most RPGs work

VG Cats has a great strip that rips on the quest system of Mass Effect 3.

http://www.vgcats.com

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Haha. I recognise most of those from games I've played.

Wow, I completely forget VG Cats even existed. They update so inconsistently!

I'm scared Resonance of Fate breaks most of the cliches listed and manages a game not reliant on MP or any nonsense like that and actually needs you to think about your moves in the battles not simply out stat the enemy

I can name at least 5 or so JRPGs off the top of my head that require strategy like that. Vagrant Story is one. Persona 3 and 4 as well. Lucifer's Call. Lost Odyssey. Even FFXIII. FFXII as well if you play the vastly superior Zodiac edition. There's many others as well I'm sure. I guess Dark Souls and Demon's Souls need mentioning as well, though I haven't played them. It's a myth that all JRPGs are about grinding and stats. Maybe Dragon Quest is like that.

Pretty much every JRPG ever made ever conforms to at least a couple of those cliches. It's funny because the list is quite a few years old by now yet still relevant. 

[quote user="hobblejp"]

I'm scared Resonance of Fate breaks most of the cliches[/quote]

Yes it was refreshing to see them cast such a mature group of adults as the main...

Hey... wait a minute!

[quote user="zfair899"]

I can name at least 5 or so JRPGs off the top of my head that require strategy like that. Vagrant Story is one. Persona 3 and 4 as well. Lucifer's Call. Lost Odyssey. Even FFXIII. FFXII as well if you play the vastly superior Zodiac edition. There's many others as well I'm sure. I guess Dark Souls and Demon's Souls need mentioning as well, though I haven't played them. It's a myth that all JRPGs are about grinding and stats. Maybe Dragon Quest is like that.

[/quote]

yeh the thing is this is a game where you can be level 15 mess up and have a level 5 enemy rip you apart lol.

Also by strategy I don't mean carrying the right amount of ether or otherwise named point restoring items to go for your higher end special moves. So many games rely on you having some points, you use those points for special moves style systems and once gone you have to sleep, or use an items to get them back, and you normally reach a point where you have to use MP moves on the normal enemies to reach some boss and unless you bothered to grind up a bit first the boss wipes the floor with you right away. Thats kind of why I like Resonance of fate, so many people said how they couldn't beat the first boss and how hard the game is but I was one of those who found the game was about thinking how to set moves up and having some kind of plan for the battles.

[quote user="Azrael008uk"]

[quote user="hobblejp"]

I'm scared Resonance of Fate breaks most of the cliches[/quote]

Yes it was refreshing to see them cast such a mature group of adults as the main...

Hey... wait a minute!

[/quote]

actually the youngest of the main characters is 17 lol the other two can legally drink and are said to be in their 20's

Very good VoteDC lol

[quote user="hobblejp"]

yeh the thing is this is a game where you can be level 15 mess up and have a level 5 enemy rip you apart lol.

Also by strategy I don't mean carrying the right amount of ether or otherwise named point restoring items to go for your higher end special moves. So many games rely on you having some points, you use those points for special moves style systems and once gone you have to sleep, or use an items to get them back, and you normally reach a point where you have to use MP moves on the normal enemies to reach some boss and unless you bothered to grind up a bit first the boss wipes the floor with you right away. Thats kind of why I like Resonance of fate, so many people said how they couldn't beat the first boss and how hard the game is but I was one of those who found the game was about thinking how to set moves up and having some kind of plan for the battles.

[/quote]

I've no doubt that Resonance of Faith is a hard game. But the SMT titles I mentioned are not simply all about micromanagment and big numbers. They're rock hard. You cannot even grind in Persona games as they limit the amount of time you can spend fighting monsters. Almost every boss-fight is fraught with difficulty and has its own unique strategy. Common enemies can wipe you out. Some have also said that Lucifer's Call/Nocturne is one of the hardest JRPGs ever made, though I find that hard to believe. Then again, I've never played hard mode. Normal mode was enough.

-

Hell, pretty much all games published by Atlus are hard. It's why I like them.