How long till a gamertag goes back into the pool after deleting an account?

I had deleted my old account because i wanted to use that name for my main account. So i deleted it and it says its already taken. I called microsoft and they said theres no given time for the gamertag to go back into the pool...does anyone know how long it could take?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 120 Applies to:

You haven't deleted the account, because there is no way to do that. If you want your gamertag available on another profile, you'll have to pay 800 Points to change the gamertag on the original profile, freeing it up for another.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="DannoMcK"]

You haven't deleted the account, because there is no way to do that. If you want your gamertag available on another profile, you'll have to pay 800 Points to change the gamertag on the original profile, freeing it up for another.

[/quote]This is correct.  My gamertag was originally a different name.  After I paid 800MSP to change it to this name, I could use my old name on a second account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Really tell me more please.. So if you change your GamerTag name, does that make your previous name available to get on a different account????

Im having similar issues. I created a GT on the website so i could make sure i get it. But i didnt go online on the xbox system until a year later after i earned alot of achivements, and had all the cables needed. Now that i finally set up things at home to go online, it automatically created a xbox account..

Now i want to delete the one i made on the website to make it available for me to use on my diff account that has all the achievements on it.

So will changing my original Gamertag ,make that original gamertag available for a diff acccount?

How do i change gamertag ? Do i have to log on from the xbox, or can i do it online? Im afraid to do it on the xbox out of fear of deleteing the achievements on there from the new account.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="PizzaSamurai"]How do i change gamertag ? Do i have to log on from the xbox, or can i do it online? Im afraid to do it on the xbox out of fear of deleteing the achievements on there from the new account.[/quote]You can only change it on the Xbox console

1. Sign into the Xbox using the gamertag you want to get the name from.
  2. Click on your gamertag on the 'Dashboard'
  3. Select "Change Gamertag".
  4. Chose a different name
  5. Pay 800 Microsoft Points to change it.

That has freed the name you want to use.  

1. Now sign in with the gamertag you want to put the name on.
  2. Repeat steps 2 and 3 from above
  3. Choose the name you want to put on your gamertag
  4. Pay another 800 Microsoft Points to change it.

Note: You will need 800MS Points on both accounts (1,600 MS Points total) in order to change the name into one you are already using.  You will NOT have to pay the 800 MS Points if you are changing the name from a name you were automatically given.

Sorry this didn't help.

First let me say thank u !! I greatly appreciate all your help.THANKS ALOT!!!

One last question, If i sign into the account that i want to get the name from, will it erase my saved games or achievements on the current Gamertag i have logged on. Or will they restore once i log back on..

Sorry this didn't help.

One last question, If i sign into the account that i want to get the name from, will it erase my saved games or achievements on the current Gamertag i have logged on. Or will they restore once i log back on..

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="PizzaSamurai"]

[/quote]

Any game saves or achievements will still belong to that gamertag, even if you change the name of the gamertag.

Sorry this didn't help.