How do I remove spaces in my gamertag ? (Trying to take advantage of the change gamertag 30% offer)

I tried but I can't change my gamertag. I wanted to get rid of the spaces in my gamertag so that it matches my username on other services like PSN (which does not allow spaces). However when I enter the new edited gamertag without spaces I'm told the new gamertag is already in use... (It isn't)

It seems the LIVE service ignores spaces and consider my new gamertag to be identical to the old one, and won't let me change or edit it.

Do I have to pay double and first change my gamertag to some random name, then back to my "old" (now edited) gamertag, or is there some other way of removing the spaces from my gamertag ?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 240 Applies to:

Nooo if the system says that the gt is taken it may be a retro gt and those cant be used.....(until MS decides they want to do a retro gt auction) So dont double pay ... or it may be used in another country try a variation of ur GT like adding a 3 for an E or something.....but other wise just dont pay 2x's

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You would have to pay double to change it. However, once you change your name, it may not be immediately available.

Sorry this didn't help.

John Smith", "john smith", and "JohnSmith" are all the same gamertag; only one of them could exist. (I've already said that "Trance Demon" exists, which is why you can't have "Trance Demon".) However, if "John Smith" exists and you Search for "JohnSmith" or sent it a friend request, it will not match (because of the space difference), so you mistakenly think it doesn't exist. That's why you have to trust the gamertag system when it says you can't have a name, even though you think you've proven to yourself that it doesn't already exist.

The gamertag system effectively ignores the spaces in determining if a gamertag is unique. That's all; the fundamental reason is "that's the way the system works".

For one thing, it would be confusing if there were, say, a zillion "Elite Sniper" tags out there (and you know there would be): "EliteSniper", "Elite Sniper","E liteSniper", "E l i t e S n i p e r" - DannoMcK

I thought this answered my same question quite well.

Sorry this didn't help.

The gamertag system doesn't take space into account as it has been said already.

If you want to do it, you will need to change it to something else and then change it to the one you want.

Sorry this didn't help.