How do I move just the "Gamertag" from one profile/LiveID to another?

How do I move just the gamertag (not profile or LiveID) from my, little used, old "Games for Windows Live" profile/LiveID onto my real "Xbox Live" profile that has all my gaming history?  The upgrade from a local Xbox user profile to an Xbox Live Gold (family) account, assigned my profile a default LiveID Email and default Gamertag.

Microsoft screwed up my gaming username by rolling usernames from the online PC/Windows game "Prejudice: Games for Windows Live" into the "Xbox Live" naming space.

When I went to upgrade my local Xbox profile (with gaming history) into a Family Xbox Live profile, it said my gamertag was already taken (by me and my "Games for Windows Live account/profile).

Why my upgraded account would be forced into a randomly assigned gamertag and Windows LiveID that I don't want is beyond me.  Now I have to try and figure out how to straighten out this mess.  Any ideas on the steps necessary?

I also wish the MS KB's would not use the terms "Gamertag", "LiveID" and "Profile" so vaguely and interchangeably.  When MS KB's say "move your gamertag", they really mean "move your whole profile and history".  Definitely not the same thing.

How do I move just the "Gamertag" from one profile/LiveID to another?

Thanks.l

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Great, similar to my problem of course its unanswered Im super annoyed by all this bs and having to have different gamertag, live id's etc.  You'd think they'd have a clue on decent developing or maybe the just use google at microsoft.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there! Unfortunately since your desired Gamertag existed already on your Games for Windows LIVE account, that is why you were told it was not available when you upgraded your local Xbox 360 profile to Gold.

There is not a way to combine accounts or outright delete them, but there is one method to you can try to assign the Gamertag that currently exists on your Games for Windows LIVE account to your Xbox LIVE account. It involves changing the Gamertag of the GFWL account to a randomized or other Gamertag. You may need to recover that account to your console to do so ( http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/t/153143.aspx ) After that is complete, you can change the Gamertag that is on your Xbox LIVE profile to the desired Gamertag. Unfortunately the downside to this is that the first Gamertag change will cost 800 MSP. The second one should be free as it's a newly created LIVE account, and each new account comes with 1 free Gamertag change usable in the first 30 days.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.