How do i manage all this gamertag/xbox live/wlid stuff?

It's all so confusing - I'm losing the will to live.

It doesn't help that the help pages either don't exist or are so well hidden in amongst other stuff you can never find them.

1. So there's this dummy hotmail account i was told to set up that's got a gamertag with it that's just had the free month xbox gold expire on it.

2. then there's my son's gamertag with his email address and xbox free account that he uses with 2 day voucher codes for xbox gold (important we don't lose this as it's got his friends associated with it)

3. then there's my email address with a gamertag and an xbox free account that i used to register the xbox with. this we set up so it was the parent wlid account for my sons email address, but the wlid pages are impossible to find that allow me to manage my sons child settings in wlid.

So.

I don't want my son to lose his stuff in 2.

I want to keep 3 associated with 2 as the parent account in wlid.

I want to get 3 so it sits at 1 to benefit from xbox gold that's just expired and is now silver.

I've deleted 3 off the xbox, but the xbox won't let me move the email address to 1 as it says it's already in use on the xbox. can't be as it's deleted.

the trouble with all this is you only find out afterwards that the stuff you've done was done the wrong way, and when trying to fix it, it only seems to make things worse.

why is it all so flipping complicated?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

What do you mean by you want 3 so it sits at 1 to benefit from the gold etc.?

Even though you've deleted 3 from the console, the account is still on Xbox's servers. If you want to move the email address to 1, you'd have to first change the email of 3 so you can use the email on 1.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I think I've got it. You have:

1. Gamertag1, with LiveID1
  2. Gamertag2, with LiveID2 (your son's)
  3. Gamertag3, with LiveID3 (parental account for Gamertag2)

First, I should mention that "free" and "Silver" Live profiles are the same thing. I don't see that you'll have any benefit from switching things around, but I understand that some people might prefer a certain name or have some gamerscore they don't want to lose...

To do what you want, you need to change the Live ID on Gamertag1 to something else, a LiveID4. (Yup, yet another email address.) That frees up LiveID1, and you can then change Gamertag3 to use LiveID1. (A gamertag can only change Live ID every 30 days; after that, you could change Gamertag1 to LiveID3 if you like, and forget about LiveID4.)

To get Gamertag3 back on your console after deleting it, use the "Recover Profile" function and sign in with LiveID3. Deleting a Live-enabled (free or Gold) account from your console does not delete it from Xbox Live.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you - I think I finally get it...

I still think it's way too complicated...I'm probably too old for this stuff :-)

Sorry this didn't help.