how can I stop my four year old from making purchases on accident

have a four year old and he purchased something on accident this morning and  I just assumed that you would have to enter your password before you could make a purchase but I guess not.  anybody know how to make it more secure, thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 24 Applies to:

Hello, you can remove your credit card visiting billing.microsoft.com or using your console; go to system>account>billing infos and remove your credit card.

Alessio

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you have a current subscription you will not be able to remove that payment option without cancelling the subscription. I would make this gamertag (the one they are purchasing on) your own, and the parental gamertag. Create a brand new gamertag that is a child account.

To create a child account (this will seem like a lot, trust me when they get older you will be so happy you did, especially when they are a teenager)

You will first need an email that is not attached to a gamertag and go to account.live.com and go to "Sign up now!" when you go to create it (put their age) it'll say you need parental permission and it'll prompt you to sign in or create a new MSA, sign in with your MSA that is that old or parental gamertag so it'll be associated as the parent account. Once that's done you can now create your child's new gamertag!

An easy way to do it would be xbox.com, sign out of the parental gamertag if you see it in the upper right corner, and then when you go to sign in you'll see on the left, Sign up! it'll ask for your Microsoft Account (MSA) that you just created and fill out all of the basic info.  Whenever it prompts for parental permissions use the original gamertag's credentials (email & password).

Now go to the console, when you sign in you have the options to Sign in, Create Profile, & Download Profile. Go to Download profile and use the child's email & password. -As a side note in the future the parental email & password here will give you the option to download either the original parental gamertag or your child's, and all future child/secondary accounts.

The last step if you have a current gold subscription on that adult account you have to call xbox support for your area/region, ask them to cancel the subscription and they generally can issue you a token or prepaid code for your remaining time. They can help you with any of the steps above as well if you have questions about it.

The last step parental controls on the gamertag: support.xbox.com/.../xbox-live-parental-control

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE NOR FORUM MODERATOR. However I do know a lot about acct recovery.

Sorry this didn't help.

Besides the child account option you can add a passcode to your account. This way it takes you entering the code before anyone can access the account.  Please see this helpful page on setting up a code.

Sorry this didn't help.