How can I sign in on my Xbox with my website account?

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere. But as far as I can see all of the sticky links on this forum that might help have been moved.

I'm having problems with my Xbox Live account because the website allows you to sign up with ANY email address. But the Xbox console will only let you use a Windows Live address.

Yesterday I registered for Xbox live on my computer through the website. I used my personal email address to register which is NOT a Windows live address. I then changed my gamertag to something better.

However when I got home I tried to log in with my Xbox. But when I try to input my details it says I cannot sign in because my email address is not a Windows live address. I made a new account. But now I can't have my gamertag because I've already claimed it with the original account.

Is there any way to merge these accounts together? Can I delete the original account to free up the gamertag? I can't find any way of doing that.

Cheers!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Just a bit of clarification: Windows LIVE Id is any email registered in the system. It used to only be hotmail/live/msn/sympatico ect - ones that give you access to the email service. It was expanded that you can register any id as a wlid. In fact, this name is being shifted over to "Microsoft Account" - probably to help clarify the difference.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Follow the instructions here to download the gamertag you created on the website to the console - support.xbox.com/.../profile-move-delete

There is no way to merge accounts or completely delete accounts.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.