How can I recover my lost money?

I have an interesting, and probably not uncommon, issue.

I have a 12-month auto-renew subcription. And another friend whom hasn't had Gold membership for over a year (nearly two).

A few months ago, the friend of mine was over at my house, and we wanted to play co-op online. So I offered to provide my Credit Card information to purchase a 1-month Gold membership.

I have now come to discover that his account, on a 1-month auto-renewal has been charging my CC for each month (even though he hasn't used it since 06/11)

I question why would a 1-month (premimum price, rather discounted multi-month offers) would ever be on Auto-renewal. And why I can't even remove the CC (because it's still in use) from the account, without having to contact them and expicitly request to cancel the membership immediately,

I assumed this must be an obvious issue, because exactly who would be purchasing a 1-month (at premimum price) and wish for it to be charged for consecutive months.

So months later, I have no paid for nearly a years worth of subcription for my friend,

What can I do?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

All you can do is call Support and get them to remove the card from the account. Though it would more than likely have to be your friend who does this since it is his account Call Us.

I doubt you will get any many back though, as it does state when you are taking out these deals that it will renew at the regular rate, but it can't hurt to ask. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That is what I have done. Although I don't feel too good about letting this go.

I had the hardest time having them take it off his account; because they wanted him to call.

But It's hard to get someone else to cancel something they are getting for free! (the reason this can come to my attention now, is because he has finally had his internet reconnected to be astounted to find he still has Gold membership)

Sorry this didn't help.

The only way you'll get your money back on this is to have your friend pay you back.  Also, if it has been a few months how could you have not noticed the charges coming off your card.  Do you not read the invoices the credit card company sends you?

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel the very least they could do is take the 3 unused months (which I think they can see he didn't use it at all) and have those months credited to his account now.

(im quite certian he won't be getting Gold afterwards)

At the 1-month service price, I have effectively paid more, for even less.

It seems MS isn't too keen in upholding good customer support.

I know this is at my fault, because I didn't cancel the membership (which I feel should never have been auto-renewal), but MS has no issue with taking my lost money as if no wrong doing, despite having all the resources to see that this is a simple accident.

Sorry this didn't help.

How did I not notice the charges?

That is where it gets even more complicated (to almost disbelief)

the reason I haven't been checking my statements, is because my CC is brand new.

And the CC that I did all this with was set to expire the exact month I paid for the 1-month.

I thought that there was no need to worry for the subcription would have to cancel, for how would they charge my new CC.

It turns out that XboxLive has managed to force the charge through, and have the subcription follow onto my new CC.

So I asked them why they would be able to charge me without have proper, up-to-date CC info. They said because we didn't want to completely cancel your subcription.  

Visa has said they won't refuse charges unless I have written agreement that I refused monthly renewal.

Sorry this didn't help.

Battle: While I understand your issue, no one on the forums can give you a refund. You need to ask that on phone support. If they refuse a refund, then that is the final answer. Sorry for the confusion regarding auto renewal.

Sorry this didn't help.