How can I hook my Xbox 360 up to speakers/a headset?

My monitor doesn't have an audio jack or internal speakers, and it's connected to my monitor via HDMI. The specific model is a HP 2311x, and the other ports are in use.

Any help is greatly apperciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Well there's two things you can do. You can buy the official adapter (See here) or you can pop the case off of the 360s AV cable. Without the case on it fits right under the HDMI cable. Whether you want to spend the $4 is up to you. Personally I'd do it so you won't have to worry about the wires getting damaged as without the case on the AV cable everything is exposed. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Can you explain what you meanl by popping the case off?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nevermind, I see now. I'm not certain that'll work. I have two AV cables (one from a first-gen Xbox and one from a slim) and the shape of either one disallows the use of a HDMI at the same time.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Elkros"]I have two AV cables (one from a first-gen Xbox and one from a slim) and the shape of either one disallows the use of a HDMI at the same time.[/quote]

That's intentional, because the console shouldn't have two video outputs connected at the same time. You're supposed to buy the audio-only adapter, which provides an optical digital output and RCA analog outputs. Folks have said that some non-Microsoft adapters have the wrong jumpers set and still look video-capable to the console, so a Microsoft-branded one is the best bet if they're still available. (The 360S console revision added optical audio output to the console itself.)

Sorry this didn't help.