Horrible customer service

So I bought an xbox 1 in December of last year. It has never really worked quite right i.e. freezes, doesn't read games, locks up on startup. My controller that came with the xbox is also broken, and drifts up when playing games. I called Xbox customer support to get the problem taken care of and spent an hour on the phone with a tech that helped me troubleshoot the xbox with no success. I ended up doing a factory reset on the xbox which cleared out all of my game data and saved information. She told me to try to install one of my games and see how it goes, and if it didn't fix the problem to call back and they would get me a new xbox. I let the xbox sit over night trying to install COD ghosts and it installed about 15 percent. (So obviously still not working right). I called back the next day and spoke with another tech about the issue. He tried to make me troubleshoot the whole system again. I told him I had already done this and that it didn't work, he said that there were a couple things that I can try to try to get it fixed. I said I just want a new xbox. His trouble shooting still didn't work and I still have a broken xbox. I spoke to another tech and explained the entire situation again. He eventually said that I could send my xbox in. I guess my controller was a separate issue and I had to file a separate service request. So I spent another hour on the phone getting the xbox replacement figured out, at which point he told me that I would most likely get a re-furbished xbox sent to me to replace the one that I had. I was upset about this as I paid for a new xbox that didn't work and I would like a new xbox sent to me. He said I will get a different console if I pay $15 for an expedited exchange, otherwise they will try to fix my console and send it back to me. I said I want a different console so I paid the $15. He said there was nothing he can do to get me a brand new console . I asked about my game data that I lost from the factory reset and explained that I have satellite internet with a 10GB data cap and that I can't just re-download my games at about 50GB a game. They told me to take my xbox to someone's house that has unlimited internet.

I eventually got the controller situation taken care of and have to send my controller out separately from the xbox because I guess I can't send them in the same box. I was so frustrated at the service I had received that I tried to call back the next day and cancel my service entirely. I called a tech and said that I wanted to cancel my service and I would like a refund on the original xbox. She said she can cancel my order for the replacement xbox, but they don't take the broken xbox back and give me my money back. She said my best bet is to take it back to the store (which is 3 hours away) and try to take it back for a refund. Eventually I realized that I am out $400 plus the cost of my games for a junk xbox that doesn't work with a broken controller and I can't get rid of my service because xbox won't refund my money.

So overall, this is the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my 28 years of existence. I have wasted more time and money on this issue than I care to think about. And when I call customer service to address the issue, they say that they can't help me and that I should post a complaint on the forum. I have never been so disgusted with the type of service I have received. I am a combat veteran that deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and I can honestly say that I would rather go back to either place than spend another 10 minutes on the phone with Microsoft customer support.

This is the first complaint that I have ever actually taken the time to go onto a forum and express my concerns, because it is this first time that I feel the issue warrants a response, because I don't want anyone else to waste hundreds of dollars of their hard earned money, and hours upon hours of time only to have an unsatisfactory experience with the xbox customer support section.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

GG: the same risk is involved when you buy a brand-new product. OP found out the hard way that there are defective consoles that slip on a production line and computer based quality assurance isn't all that flawless. Not like human based QA (used for repairing defective products) is perfect either but at least they'll go the extra mile to make sure the product works as advertised. This I believe.

Now if you or OPie believe that you can't trust the company to do you right when they sell consoles at a loss and rely on customer's good will to make their business profitable, that's another matter altogether that doesn't come to this discussion. OPIe was given a choice and he chose to forgoe it. There's little anyone of us can do to aid him, making this conversation pointless.

Unless you want to add to the echo chamber.

What's wrong with refurbs? You want a working product - it shouldn't matter if it's brand new or a refurb.

Of course it's not their fault that I have a data cap. I live in an area that doesn't have cable. My issue is that it took me three phone calls and multiple hours to get the issue fixed. Should I have taken the xbox back to begin with? Yes, probably. But the issues continuously got worse and worse until the console was no longer usable. I am not happy with the service I received from xbox customer support and the fact that I when I say my xbox is not working I have to speak to 3 separate techs before they tell me to send it in. And then when I want a new xbox they tell me they will be sending a refurbished one.

Buys Xb1.. Malfunctions right out the box.. waits 8 months to call tech.. complains companies customer service is horrible due to low budget internet connection and need to travel to get something fixed..

Fedex.com

I considered getting a refurbished console, but I believe that there's always a risk involved when getting one. For example, what was wrong with it? What did they do to fix it? What parts were used/replaced? Who fixed it (and are they certified?)? What if it breaks again after the return policy runs its course? There are just too many potential risk-factors, if you ask me, which is why I bought my new console, well, new...

If your car company actual replaced a year old car, then you got extremely lucky. I call BS As well though.

As far as support and complaints go though, you were lied to and you're only wasting your time here. This is a community forum and nobody from MS is going to read your complaint.  

They won't take the broken xbox back and refund the money as well. Instead I'm supposed to drive 3 hours back to the original store that I bought the xbox from and return it.

OP, I call BS on your car story..... if a vehicle is under warranty the dealer will repair it, not replace it; hence warranty. Especially if it had 10000 miles on it. Transmissions and ECU's are fixable, it does not warrant a new car.

-

I am a service manager and deal with warranty everyday..... trust me...

"I have never been so disgusted with the type of service I have received. I am a combat veteran that deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and I can honestly say that I would rather go back to either place than spend another 10 minutes on the phone with Microsoft customer support."

-

This comment really bothers me..... support can't be compared to this.... AT ALL!

I understand you're upset but do you really think it's Microsofts fault you have a data cap and don't live next to the store you bought it from?