Hooking up a Xbox (the new one) to a 1920x1080 monitor

Hey, recently I tried hooking up my xbox to my PC monitor using an HDMI cable. It works, unfortunately for some reason it defaults my games to lowest quality settings (or it might just be resolution). Particularly BF3, is there something wrong with how I set it  up? or does BF3 just not support this sort of set up. I want to be able to enjoy this game on highest quality, any help would be appreciated. I've messed with every setting on my monitor and xbox that I know of is there anything I might of missed?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 37 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Make sure you go to system settings, display and set the resolution to the TVs native resolution.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Already tried that but doesn't work

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried maybe using a port-to-VGA input cord ? .

Considering it's a monitor , and not a TV , the VGA input would better suit the xbox and monitor .

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me make this perfectly clear, I'm using the new xbox, which is compatible with HDMI inputs, which I know for a fact is better than a VGA input. I have a 1920X1080 LED HDMI monitor, which is newer than my HD TV which I normally have my xbox hooked up to, yet it's running my games at lower quality. I have a friend who has a similar set-up like me, he has his xbox hooked up to his monitor with a HDMI input, yet unlike me, he can run his games with maximum quality.

Can someone (preferably someone who actually has an xbox set up this way) tell me in detail whether it's a compatibility issue or I'm just not setting it up right somehow.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="TheOMnominatoR"]Let me make this perfectly clear, I'm using the new xbox, which is compatible with HDMI inputs,[/quote]The 360 has had HDMI since 2007. It's not exclusive to the 360 S.[quote]which I know for a fact is better than a VGA input.[/quote]That's a gross oversimplification of the matter. HDMI's digital. VGA is analog. While analog is more dependent on cable quality and other factors, it's not inherently "worse" than digital. HDMI typically results in a loss of control with respect to tweaking the display. It ends up being more reliant on adjustments from the source device, something the 360 lacks.[quote]I have a 1920X1080 LED HDMI monitor, which is newer than my HD TV[/quote]What's the exact make and model? Have you checked the display's information screen to see what resolution/display format it is receiving?[quote]I have a friend who has a similar set-up like me, he has his xbox hooked up to his monitor with a HDMI input, yet unlike me, he can run his games with maximum quality.[/quote]I have a couple 360s hooked up via HDMI to computer monitors (HP 2159m, NEC LCD24WMCX).

While the 360 is fine over the HP's HDMI input, I have had odd issues with it when plugged into my computer's HDMI-equipped video card. Took a few tweaks in my Radeon driver control panel to get it working correctly. The NEC's HDMI input is ok as well, though HDMI on that monitor from the 360 or a PC doesn't look quite as good as DVI or VGA, in general.

Provide the specifics of your monitor and what it signal it shows it's receiving.

Sorry this didn't help.

Name DELL SR2320L on NVIDIA GeForce 210

Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels

Work Resolution 1920x1040 pixels

State enabled, primary, output devices support

Monitor Width 1920

Monitor Height 1080

Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel

Monitor Frequency 60 Hz

Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

Here's all the info from speccy, how do I check what signal it's receiving from my xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

Enable the OSD and see what it says on the bottom. Documentation is here.

Sorry this didn't help.

VGA cables have lower IQ than HDMI ones and that's a fact. I have both cables and HDMI looks just gorgeous, while the VGA one looks washed out and less colorful. You' should try an HDMI cable, they're really cheap.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Yogsam Gc"]VGA cables have lower IQ than HDMI ones and that's a fact.[/quote]Except it's not a fact, it's a misconception.[quote]I have both cables and HDMI looks just gorgeous, while the VGA one looks washed out and less colorful.[/quote]That's a display or display configuration issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok so what your saying is that it has something to do with the monitor settings and not anything to do with the cord I'm using, correct?

I've already messed with the monitor settings of course I didn't know what was wrong, so I didn't know what to look for and adjust. What exactly am I looking for in the OSD? Just mess with the settings there and something should happen?

Sorry this didn't help.