We're excited to announce that we've fully migrated the Xbox Forums to their new home, here on the Microsoft Community forums!
As of today, going to forums.xbox.com will redirect you here to the Xbox area of the Community forums. We've moved all of your existing threads over so you can continue and start conversations with the new forums experience.
We sincerely appreciate the feedback you have provided over this transition and can't wait for you to check out the new Xbox Forums!
Help....I have deleted everything from my Xbox and can't restore gamertag
I tried using smart glass on my iPad and it gave me a new gamertag....tried signing in today and my original gamertag I've had forever wouldn't let me sign in. I changed password and had no luck, the profile is linked to the new gamertag. After reading
forums I deleted everything on the Xbox in the hope to find a "restore gamertag" option and there isn't one.....can someone help me please?!
I'd start by clearing the Xbox console system cache (it's just temporary files plus game updates, automatically reloaded) by:
1) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button on the controller, go 2 clicks right to Settings, pick System Settings.
2) Select Storage (or Memory if Storage).
3) Move over any hard drive or memory unit (not the Cloud) & press (Y) on your controller & pick Clear System Cache.
4) When asked to confirm storage device maintenance, choose Yes.
Delete profile from your console
1) go to www.xbox.com/accounts & click on Sign in at upper right - if you can't sign in then ** STOP: DON'T ** delete your profile. Please call Xbox Support
http://tinyurl.com/XBLnumbers Option 2 for help with your account. If you can sign in, delete & redownload your profile on your Xbox this way:
2) Go to Settings - pick System - choose Storage - pick All Devices - choose Gamer Profiles
3) pick the gamertag choose Delete, and pick Delete Profile Only.
This deletes the profile but leaves saved games and achievements. Now, re-download your profile.
1) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button
2) Select Download Profile (and if you don't see it, press the blue X button to make sure you're not signed in) and proceed with Profile Download.
3) Enter the Microsoft Account addresse for your Xbox LIVE gamertag when asked.
4) Enter the password for the Microsoft Account.
4A) If your account is an Xbox LIVE child account, the parent’s Windows Live ID & password is required as well to download your profile.
5) Pick the storage device for your profile (choose Hard Drive if you have one, or Memory Unit if you don't have a Hard Drive).
6) When the download completes you will be asked if you want the console to remember your password. If it's your home console, I'd say yes, otherwise I'd think carefully about leaving my profile unprotected on somebody else's
7) Sign in, and retry.
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.