Help with xbox hard drive. (Old white version)

Hi my son has the white xbox and his hard drive is now full as he downloads games rather than buys the disks. What can i do now as he doesn't want to delete anything as its mostly full games. 

Is it just a case of buying a new,bigger hard drive and clipping it on? But how can i get the games he has stored already on to his new hard drive? Is he able to just download them all again for free via xbox live? 

Any help appreciated as there not cheap things for me to get it wrong! 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

At this point, it would be difficult to find a new hard drive for that model of console. However, they recently released an update so you can add any external USB hard drive up to 2TB for extra storage space (stay away from Seagates though). Then he could leave his current hard drive plugged in and still have extra space.

Anything you download can be redownloaded again for free from your download history. But with both hard drives plugged in, he can also move data between the hard drives in his settings.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You can buy an external and transfer your files onto that, although some content can't be used on external drives. There's some places that you can find real HDDs, though I'd avoid online stores because they can sell you a fake which ...well they don't really work too well. Go to a pawn shop or something--they normally have good HDDs. I grabbed a 120 GB one for I think it was 40 bucks or something like that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately some data cannot be moved between HDD without the use of a transfer cable - Eg GOW3 profile, DOA4 game saves, etc.

Sorry this didn't help.