Help With setting up 5.1 surround sound.

Hi there, i am struggling to find the right cable so i was hoping someone here could help.

Just a basic setup at the moment, HDMI cable into the TV, I have a 5.1 system attached to me PC, however i don't really ever use it so i think i would find it more useful if i could use it for the xbox instead.

The 5.1 system is quite old though (it takes the 6 coloured cable's as an input). So i was wandering if there is a cable that you can plug into the AV slot in the back of the xbox that goes into the 6 cables that is needed for 5.1. I do remember seeing a cable that you can plug into the AV slot while the HDMI slot is in use, however i have no idea what connectors there were at the other end.

I suppose you can tell that i am not too good with sound systems but to sum up...

What type of cable can i buy that will allow me to use the AV slot as the 5.1 output. With the other end being the Red, White, Black, Orange, White and Blue...

If any more clarification is needed just ask, i can see that it may be quite confusing :P

Thanks for any response,

BigThing

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 32 Applies to:

I would also love to know this :)

Simply put, each of those six inputs correspond to a channel (L/C/R/LS/RS & SW). There is no 360 cable that runs six separate audio connections. In order to do that, the 360 would need it's own, built-in 5.1 decoder, which (to my knowledge) it doesn't have.

Yes I know exactly what you're talking about. You have a 5.1 system with three 3.5mm plugs. Each one carries two channels. Green if Front Left&right, Black is Rear Right&Left, Orange is Center and Sub. The 360 only outputs 5.1 audio two ways though and that is through the Optical\Toslink output or through HDMI. Either way it's encoded as a Dolby 5.1 signal and needs to be decoded into an analog signal for speakers to use.

So you need a Decoder capable of either HDMI or Toslink input and Dolby 5.1 decoding along with 3x3.5mm outputs.

You will want to find a decoder box like this and you should be all set. Look around for different models or manufacturers and you should be able to find one in the $50-100 range.

If you really want just a louder experience then Logitech has makes this which using the two RCA outputs will in a very simple way give you basic mean averaged and sub cut off frequency audio output. Definitely not discreet channels which throws being able to use your 5.1 setup for better positional awareness out the window.

Umm just wondering what is better the surround sound that the hdmi carries or optical toslink?

[quote user="D3ltaX55"]

Umm just wondering what is better the surround sound that the hdmi carries or optical toslink?

[/quote]They're identical.

If you are just talking about Xbox 360 audio then, yes HDMI and Toshlink audio is the same. However if you are talking bluray devices such as the PS3 then no they are not the same. Toshlink does not have the bandwidth to carry the new audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA. You would need a HDMI cable for that.

[quote user="Low Jinks"]

If you are just talking about Xbox 360 audio then, yes HDMI and Toshlink audio is the same. However if you are talking bluray devices such as the PS3 then no they are not the same. Toshlink does not have the bandwidth to carry the new audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA. You would need a HDMI cable for that.

[/quote]

You sir, are wrong, i have DTS running through my amp from the ps3 , connected by guess what, optical. thank you, and goodnight

[quote user="haz2901"]

You sir, are wrong, i have DTS running through my amp from the ps3 , connected by guess what, optical. thank you, and goodnight

[/quote]DTS and DTS MA are different. No consumer device will accept lossless surround over optical toslink.