help with gaming tag

Hi, we had to sign up under a different email address and now I cannot input our old tag as it says its already taken!  Can anyone help me??

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

U will have  to change  the old gt in order  to use  it on your. New account

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You cannot simply create an new MSA and try to link it to your gamertag, there is a process you must follow.  Try these steps: support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account  If this does not work for you, say for example, because you no longer have access to your old email... you will want to fill out an ACSR form for the old account.  You can do this at www.account.live.com/acsr   Provide your old email, then another email you would prefer to be contacted at, fill out the required info and wait for a response.  (This can take up to 24 hours.)  If you get declined (or even approved but are still having trouble), call xbox live support if you are in the US/Canada it is 1-800-4MY-XBOX and tell them you already filled out the ACSR form and need to have your issue escalated to Tier 3 support in order to have them change the email address associated with your gamertag.  Hold on to your response e-mail from the ACSR form because they will need the ACSR Form ID # in order to prove you already attempted to recover the account and failed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!!  and first of all, thank you!  Unfortunately I cannot get into the "account" square!  It won't come up.  Only the settings will allow me to click on it.  I did use the chat center yesterday and they sent a ticket in to change the old email address to the new email address.  

The problem is that I used to use a verizon email address and it no longer works (hasn't in over a year) but with the new update I HAVE to use that account which obviously is impossible!

So I am hoping they can get into it and change it to my regular email address and all the games we have purchased and gamertags will still be available!!

Sorry this didn't help.

If you've spoken with Support and they've said they will resolve it for you, I'm sure it's just a matter of waiting for them to get it done :-)

Xbox Forums moderator. Xbox MVP. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Sorry this didn't help.