Help with external hard drive.

Help with xbox one external hard drive. I have a WD 1 TB passport ultra and it has worked fine with installing apps into it, but for some reason any game no matter how small will begin to download and then stop. The game that made it farthest was Guacamelee which is about 850 mb and would stop at 23%. Any ideas why this issue exists and how to fix it?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Hi JARHEAD2700, 

Sorry you're having issues with your external hard drive. First thing I would suggest is performing a hard reset on your Xbox One console. To do this, with your Xbox on hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds (the console will quickly turn off). Then turn the console on and expect a little bit longer boot. This also clears out some cache. After you've done this see if you can install games to the drive. Also, try to move a game to the external hard drive that is currently installed on your console, and let us know what the results are. 

Hope this helps! 

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Hydro Skillet,

Unfortunately the hard reset did not help. And i had also tried moving games from the internal to the external before and it did not work as well. Also to add to the issues i am noticing the move does not even initiate until i restart the console.  And every time the console turns on i have tp unplug and plug back in the external for it to appear.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi JARHEAD2700, 

Sorry you're still having issues with your hard drive. There are a couple of other things you can try. First, try using a different USB port on your Xbox One. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest moving the external drive to your computer and formatting it with NTFS. After you format it, then plug it back into the console, it should pick the drive back up, and ask you to set it up again. After you've named it and set it up, see if you can now install games to it.

NOTE: Formatting erases ALL data on the hard drive. 

Let us know if either of these steps work! 

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.