Help with Account Clean-up

I am hoping someone from Support can contact me and assist in cleaning up my account security.  A little background info: about a year ago, I changed all of my Microsoft account info from a Yahoo.com email address to an Outlook.com email address.  Everything with that has been working fine and I have not seen my Yahoo.com email address anywhere in my account info since.

So, today I called into Support and was told my email address for security purposes was a Yahoo.com address.  I told him that this was incorrect, and all of my account info was updated to an Outlook.com email address.  He said no, it was the Yahoo.com email and that is what I must be using to sign into my account.  I told him absolutely not, I have been using Outlook.com since I changed it.  And then, later in the call, he told me I needed to sign in with my Outlook.com email b/c that is my account ID.  It makes me very nervous that my account info seems to be split between the 2 email addresses.  So, even though the Yahoo.com email is not set up as a security proof anywhere, AND he knew my account used an Outlook.com email address, he said the email had to go to Yahoo.com.

After that fiasco, he sent me to a Verify Me page where I signed in successfully with my Outlook.com email and gave him the code, which he said didn't match his records.  He said I needed to sign into the page with my Outlook.com, to which I told him that's what I used.

Next, he said he could send a text, however the number I signed up with originally is a land line.  I said I have my cell number listed as a security proof, but he said he didn't see it.  And he wasn't allowed to use the number I gave him over the phone.  After a few more rounds with him (he was quite rude and unhelpful which is why I am trying the forum support now), I was able to log back into my Yahoo.com email account and find the code he needed.

(Side note: as an Ambassador, I now understand the complaints I get about calling into Support.  This was the first time I needed to do it, and it was unhelpful and not a pleasant experience.  I can see why so many people are so frustrated chatting with me after calling into Support.)

All of this made me realize that my account info is royally messed up in Microsoft's records and I would like some help in cleaning it up.  Here's the various topics I would like to resolve:

1. Get rid of all Yahoo.com email references and use my Outlook.com email.  I was amazed I remembered my Yahoo.com password to even do this!

2. Update all of my phone info so that the cell number I have listed as a security proof is actually able to be used as a security proof.

3. He kept mentioning a number of accounts linked to my account which I didn't question because I have child accounts.  However, after all the confusion with emails and phone numbers, it sort of feels like I have 2 different account histories in there.

4. I have 3 child accounts however on the console, only 2 of them show up as being children.  How can I fix the 3rd account, so they are all the same?

I really don't feel comfortable that my account is secure given all the misinformation I got from the Support agent on the phone, and I want to tie up any loose ends.  Thanks in advance for your help!

- Jeff

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

To put it bluntly, you got a terrible agent. Assuming your story reads in the order it happened, he released information to you he shouldn't have. Outside of that, the story is quite long, give me a minute to read through it and I may be able to give some advise.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What it sounds like might be your first problem is you have two possible Microsoft accounts, one for the yahoo, and on for the Outlook. This is of course as it should be, being you created one for the yahoo and the outlook automatically is one, being microsofts email. Make sure the gamertag (I am guessing this one you posted on) is on the correct email to log in with. The only way to change it is on your console, under account security change Microsoft accounts. If you didn't do that, then the gamertag may still be on the yahoo email. The easiest way to find out, under account security on the xbox, turn on "display Microsoft account" and see which email it shows.

As for your interaction with the agent, that sucks. I can assure you they aren't all like that, you just got a bad one (as I said earlier). I have nothing but praise for the ones I've had to deal with.

1. There are a few major places this info can show up, and they can send the code to any of those you use, unless you changed some option somewhere. There are contact emails, billing emails, security proofs, account aliasas, the log in email itself, and of course, anywhere it shows "alternate email." The main ones they would send emails to are the account log in/aliasas, billing, and proofs. Make sure those all show the outlook, not the yahoo. Just to make sure, I would double check on account.live.com and try logging in under both the yahoo and the outlook, unless of course you've confirmed the log in as I said earlier.

2. Same as number 1, but with the phone numbers you see.

3. As I said, you do have two Microsoft accounts, the yahoo one and the outlook one. Plus all the child accounts linked to them. You can't merge the two, just get the above worked out and ignore the rest.

4. If one of your "child" accounts was created. and at the time it was given a birthdate showing an age over 18, its an adult account, not a child account. You can't change that and downgrade an adult account to a child account. You need to make a new account. Alternatively, you can just adjust some of the settings on the xbox, but they can just change them back. I would suggest a family passcode on your xbox. You can find more info about that here: support.xbox.com/.../xbox-live-parental-control.

As one last piece of advise in two parts;

1. If you still have his name, call back to support, let them know you want to talk to a manager to complain about a previous agent. You have that right, and notes will be taken that go around until it gets back to the right person. Also, the new agent should be a little more helpful, and a little less rude.

2. Keep your eyes on your email (especially if you don't call back). You should see a survey in a couple days. FILL THAT OUT. It matters. If you call back, remember that the survey will be for the new agent you get, not this one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Yezzmina,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.  My account most definitely uses the Outlook.com address.  I did a "change Microsoft account" back when I first set this up.  Just to be sure, I verified it on my console.  So, I only have 1 Microsoft account, which uses the Outlook.com address.  The Yahoo.com address does not appear anywhere under any account settings, including the Xbox console itself and the account.live.com.  I even tried the forgot password link with my Yahoo.com email and it said the account doesn't exist.  So, the Yahoo.com email address should not exist anywhere, except maybe in the history of my account as it was originally set up with that.

Regarding the child account, I already have family passcode set up.  The child account in question has a 2008 birth date, so it is definitely a child account.  I set all 3 of them up at the same time, but when I go to Settings --> Family, only 2 of the 3 show up there.  The 3rd is definitely linked b/c it requires my 4 digit passcode, but does not show up as a child on my account.  So, there's something wrong with the linkage somewhere.

Again, I really appreciate you reading through my long-winded message and replying to each point.  Unfortunately, I really think I need someone from support who can see how things are set up behind the scenes to help fix all of this.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there JeffMomm!

Just to keep things as simple as possible and have one agent helping you rather than several (as it would be on the forums), I suggest calling phone support again (you can use the Contact Us page to set up a support call and skip waiting on hold, if you'd like) and ask to be escalated to the Advocacy Team. They'll be able to walk through your account with you and get things sorted.

I truly hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions. ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.

I called back into Support and talked to someone much nicer and more willing to help today.  We spent an hour getting all of the info collected and making sure everyone knew what was going on.  She then passed all the info onto the Advocacy Group.  Plus she will follow-up on her own to make sure I hear back from them.  A MUCH, MUCH better experience than I had yesterday.

Sorry this didn't help.

I might also add here that Microsoft emails can't use themselves as a security email.  Outlook, Hotmail, and LIVE emails exempt themselves from receiving security codes if they are the same email used to login to the account in the first place.  I would recommend adding a secondary security email to the account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Klokkwork, do you have a source for that info?  I have been using the Outlook.com email address for about a year, and I get all of my security codes sent to that email address.  In fact, just now when on the phone with support, they sent a security code there.  I am not doubting your intent, but want to make sure accurate info is out there for others.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I should clarify, I mean when you are receiving security codes at xbox.com.  I could potentially be wrong about the outlook domain, but I was pretty sure it was included.  LIVE and Hotmail I'm positive don't do it, because when you sign into the account on xbox.com, and attempt account management, and it needs to verify you are you, it would be pointless to verify the person by sending it to the same email used to login, because if that email was compromised, it would be a self defeating security check.  You can, however, receive the website verification code at a different Hotmail or LIVE email than the one you're logging in with.  I'll have to research a bit more to confirm this for outlook emails.

Sorry this didn't help.