HELP PLEASE, Xbox Live isn't connecting.

Hi everyone,

I have an Xbox 360 (arcade I believe) and I've had it for possibly a couple years. I used a madcatz adapter to get my live for a while then a few months ago we had a power outage which ruined our wireless router. After we got a new netgear wireless router my madcatz adapter wouldn't work with it so I hooked my xbox up to my laptop through an ethernet cable and bridged the networks. This worked for a few months until a couple weeks ago I started having connection issues. I couldn't connect to live and the most often problem I had wass from Xbox 360 to Network in the Test Xbox Live screen. Occasionally it would be a disturbance between Network and Live or the 3 burst bar thing under the live picture. I would let it set for a while and randomly it would work again, until last night. I was attempting to play zombies on black ops and at round 1 I would disconnect from the game, party and eventually from live. My game would freeze while I was disconnecting. I could reconnect myself but then it would disconnect again at round 1. Eventually after doing this about 5 or 6 times it would wait until about round 4 and disconnect. At that time I gave up on zombies and played an online game of blackops where I don't think I had any problems. Today I try to get on xbox and it wont connect AT ALL. It stops working from the Xbox 360 to Network as usual. Last night the only way to get it to work again would be to turn off my xbox, disconnect the ethernet cable from both ends, and re connect it. then I would have to turn my xbox back on, run an Xbox Live test and then it would work. Now, that isn't working. My laptop works 100% fine, the signal is strong and I never disconnect. I have an iPod touch that I use off of my wifi and it doesn't have any problems either which makes me wonder if theres a problem with the Xbox itself. When I test the connection, the page before it that says wireless or wired theres a checkmark in the wired box but it refuses to connect. Could there be a problem with the xbox itself making it not connect? Would it be possible for me to send the Xbox in and get a new one or have it repaired? Or is there a number I can call? Please give me any information you have, PLEASE help me.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

One of the first problems I identify is that there is currently no direct connection to the router. My first recommendation would be that you purchase an Ethernet cable so you would have a direct connection going out to XBOX Live servers. If that is not an option however, you can access your routers IP address for NETGEAR I believe hat is 192.168.0.1 just type that in your  browsers URL space, and set up a static IP for your wireless access to the XBOX. You will also have to perform this on your XBOX 360 too. (XBOX Guide> Settings tab> System Settings> Network Settings> 'Select your router SSID'>Configure Network> Select the IP settings tab and configure according to haw you set it up via your router.) This is a little more advanced than just plugging in an internet cord. Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've tried doing that. I can't connect the xbox directly to the router because our router is on a different floor. Is there an ethernet cable long enough to be wired down through the floor and across a few rooms? Also my laptop worked for the longest time to make my xbox work and suddenly stopped working.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes try amazon.com there are many different lengths of cord on there and on ebay. Another possible solution could be to do a hard reset on your router. This is done by finding the rest button on the router and pressing and holding it until it shuts off. You MUST hod it until it shuts completely. This will restore router configuration to factory defaults. If that doesn't work you could possibly be facing a faulty ethernet port on your XBOX 360. I'm not sure of your location but the number I have to call is 8004MYXBOX. However, your warranty is most likely expired so there will be a $100 service fee. But, if at all possible I would move the xbox near the router and try a direct connection to it before sending it off. If it works with a direct connection between the console and the router then there may be a problem with your configuration through your PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks fatcat, my dad doesn't want to order online so I'll be going to the store tomorrow to see if they have the ethernet cables. Your information helped a lot and if it works I wont be able to thank you enough. :)

Sorry this didn't help.