Help opening NAT please? Can provide all information.

Hello all!  I always see threads about how to open NAT, but never even thought of looking into them until I switched to Charter.  Now my NAT type is set to "Moderate" according to Halo: Reach.  I did a little searching around and found that enabling UPnP could help.  I did this.  I also disabled IP Flooding Detection and Firewall Protection.  And then went to Port Forwarding and forwarded the specified ports.

Now, when I did this, my NAT type changed to OPEN, horray!  BUT!  My brothers console (which is connected to router via ethernet) now has Restrcited/Closed NAT.  Why?  And another thing, even though MY Xbox (wireless) says OPEN NAT, I've been getting disconnected from matches a LOT more frequently, and sometimes it will go to black screen for me in Halo Reach and only me, and then I'll come back and be dead since everyone else was still playing.

My ISP is Charter Communications.

My router is a Motorola SURFboard SBG941.  (I see alot of sites that use the SBG900, but almost NONE that have SBG941)

My Xbox is wirelessly connected and has an Open NAT, but I still frequently get disconnected or put on standby (black screen on Reach).

My brothers Xbox is connected via ethernet and has Restricted/Closed NAT and also gets disconnected or put on standby frequently.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 36 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Just found out that one of  the ports was not checked to be forwarded.  Port 88 UDP.  But that only affects my console, since I used my consoles IP address when forwarding the ports.  Am I suppose to use my brothers IP address as well to forward ports?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I just saw that some routers do not support two xbox consoles and one will always have Open NAT and one will always have Closed.  

Well, before we had AT&T and it was a 2wire modem/router whatever and we both had Open NAT, and that router wasn't on the list of supported devices.  The motorola isn't on the list either.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Just because something isn't officially supported doesn't mean that it can't support more than 1 xbox.  But at the same time, that doesn't mean that just because you had something that supported more than 1 before that this device can do the same.  It's also quite possible that you had invisible NAT when using the 2wire, because those things... are awful.

Sorry this didn't help.

...okay. Well can you suggest anything, or can anyone?...

Sorry this didn't help.

Please reset your router defaults amd turn your router firewall back on.  You are compromising the security of everything including your pc's  of your network.  You are having problems because you have 2 xbox's using the same router ports and it can be an ugly fight. port fowarding and triggering will help open nat  when you just have 1 xbox, but the 2nd xbox still needs to use those ports also.  The solution is to put one of the xbox's in DMZ mode and leave the other xbox running like normal.  So, what you have done is put one xbox behind your router firewall and the other xbox outside the firewall. They are now separated and in most cases have open nat on both of them.

hope that helps

Sorry this didn't help.

That ALMOST helps.  I just need more of a kind of step-by-step process. :)

So I just put IP Flooding Detection back on along with the Firewall Protection.  I erased everything under Port Forwarding so its all back at 0.  UpnP is still enabled though, since it was always enabled.  

SO what is this DMZ?

Sorry this didn't help.

It stands for De Militirized Zone. You are going to expose one xbox directly to the internet by letting it bypass the firewall.

If you have both xbox's behind the firewall you have 2 devices fighting over the same ports and that is nothing but problem. By using the dmz it is like a brick wall and each xbox can have a side and the router can delegate where everything is going.

You are going to need to go into your router setup and do some hunting for the dmz feature and enable it. Most routers will allow you to enter the  mac address of the device (one of the xbox's) that you wish to be in dmz mode.

the process really varies from router to router and some do not offer DMZ at all.

Sorry this didn't help.

Cool!  I have DMZ!  It says "DMZ Address" this says " 192.168.0" and only allows me to change the zero.  Should I change that to my wireless xbox's IP?  And then thats it?  No forwarding, no nothing?  Just that!?!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok that is cool. What you are going to have to do is pick one of the xbox's  and you are going to have to set up it's internet connection manually.  that 192.168.0.0 is going to be the ip address of the manual xbox ( where the last 0 is a number like 99). That will specify how to get one of the xbox's into DMZ mode.

The bigger question is can you manually configure the ip address on one the xbox's?

Sorry this didn't help.

I give up. This is just [mod removed]. I've had three boxes hooked before ans had no problem. Now I have to jump through all these hoops just for two?? No thanks. I'm sorry but I literally just trade a site saying using DMZ for one box and forwarding for another is wrong and wont work. I just give up. Too much of a pain in the @@@ just to have a good time.

Sorry this didn't help.