Help! I need to "bridge"/"pass through" because I can't play online.

To start things off, I have read http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/7448.aspx and have all the appropriate ports and settings set up on my router and I still can't seem to stay online while I try to play a game online like Halo or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. Staying connected while in a party also proves to be a problem. Anyhoo, here is what my network setup is like (bare with me as I'm not much of a techie):

Modem: Motorola SB5105 SURFboard Cable Modem

WiFi Router: NETGEAR WNR2000v3

ISP: Time Warner

Although it took me a while to figure out how to do it, I successfully opened all of the said ports and even assigned a reserved IP for my 360 and said ports. I read a bit further down in the link I posted and I think I may be having that problem with the double-NAT thing and, after scouring inside of my router, I couldn't figure out what to do. I'm afraid of clicking/touching things that I don't know about in there for fear of botching up my entire network and having some pissed off roommates.

PLEASE, someone, help me out so I can play online with you!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hi, I doubt your double NAT'ing, have a look at the Netgears menu using your browser, find the WAN/Internet IP Address and post it up. (just don't include the last couple of digits when you post it) Also please post the version of firmware your using on the Netgear

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I hope this is the right info for the internet IP but I did mangage to find the firmware version. As far as WAN goes, I couldn't find it in the browser.

Firmware version: V1.0.1.26

Internet Port IP Address: 72.227.140.???

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Ok well your not double nat'ing so that is good. Do you know if UPnP is enabled on your router? I think the WNR200v2's had it turned off by default maybe the v3's do as well. If its off try turning it on and setting your Xbox ip address to auto and remove the port forwarding, its certainly a router set-up issue. Also is the Xbox wired or wireless?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, the UPnP is on but, as far as setting Xbox IP to Auto, how do I do that? Do I just take off the IP reservation I had set up for its MAC address?

My Xbox is running wireless. I'd run an ethernet cable to it just because I hear that it's faster but my router is in another room.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you entered an ip address into the xbox a static one? If not what you have got set-up is fine. There's nothing wrong with reserving an ip address on the router but don't enter a manual ip address like 192.168.1.20 directly into the Xbox

Is it possible to test wired (just a test) as it might just be the wireless that is an issue. Also try changing channels on the router:- http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/114-troubleshooting-and-improving-wireless

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, been busy at work for the past couple days.

I can't try a wired test because I don't have an ethernet cable long enough to go from one room to the next. As far as "static" connections; I don't really know what that means, to be honest.

I just read the link you posted and forgot to mention I'm using the standard official wireless adapter--not the new N one--and, upon reading further down, was wondering if it has something to do with that WPS thing? What exactly is that and could it possibly be what's hindering my connection for my Xbox? Once again, all of the other devices on my network (PCs, Wii, iPod touch) work fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you can connect to Xbox live ok WPS won't be the issue no. Well if you are using port forwarding I would turn off UPnP and see if that helps because if your using port forwarding you should'nt use UPnP as well (or a DMZ for that matter)

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, just turned off UPnP and I'll try this out for a few days and see if I have any problems. Don't really know what a DMZ is but I haven't found an option for or against it so i'm not going to worry about that at the moment.

Out of curiosity; in your words, what does a DMZ do? I know that UPnP has something to do with streaming info from one device to the next or something like that (I'm trying to learn what all this techie stuff means) but all this other stuff is kinda beyond me.

Sorry this didn't help.

UPnP=Actively opens and closes ports (e.g. Xbox live ports) as requested by the client, its automated no configuration necessary apart from turning it on  (on the router) and on the client (its always on with the Xbox)

Portforwarding=Opens specific ports and keeps them open all of the time for a particular client (e.g. Xbox live ports) configuration is required

DMZ=Opens all ports for a particular client, configuration is required

Sorry this didn't help.