HELP! Endless update loop on dashboard

I have been trying to fix this problem on my original xbox 360 for a while now and i am getting frustrated. I have had red rings 3 times in the past but havent had any in over 3 years now i get this bizzare problem that has no origin or solution -__-But i have discovered if i cancel the updates i can play and watch moovies perfectly offline, but it doesnt allow me to connect to xbox live without going through the endless loop!

It starts when i turn on my xbox once i get to the dashboard it tells me an update is required. When i go to update it takes about 5-10 minutes and restarts when it is finished.

Once it restarts a message pops up and says "Error some xbox 360 features are missing or corrupted blah blah blah" so i restart again and i get the same message about updating and then an error and then updating and then an error and then updating until i go bananas and quit trying.

I have done all the googling i could to find a fix and i finally found one but it was a temporary fix where you turn off your xbox when it is restarting after you update but after a while i have fallen back into the endless update loop. Ive searched all the forums i could and still no fix wtf microsoft -__- some say it has to do with a hard drive problem but when i borrowed my friends perfectly fine hard drive it had the same problems. Also i tried downloading the update to a flashdrive but still got the same error msg at the end.

Some one please help i just got Battlefield 3 and im dying to play! D:

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 718 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have you tried clearing your system cache of the hard drive? If it gets full over a long period of time, it will create update issues similar to this situation.

You can do this by going to system settings, memory, then highlight the hard drive and press Y, from there should be an option to clear system cache.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If CrazyIvan's technique doesn't help, can you try clearing the update and reinstalling it? To do so, you would select System Settings, then Memory, then highlight (but don't select) Hard Drive. Then, input the following button sequence: LB RB X LB RB X. Make sure you have either a USB Flash Drive with the current version of the update installed, or that your console is connected directly to a modem via ethernet cable (or that you have your firewall turned completely off on your router.)

Sorry this didn't help.

yea i cleared my system cache already and still nothing but imma try clearing the update and ill update you then

Sorry this didn't help.

i tried both and neither worked, right when i updated and restarted the same error msg popped up

ugh ive tried everything i cleared my cache, cleared the update and reupdated, tried a different hard drive, restarted my xbox and taken out my hard drive a billion times, tried updating through a usb, and updating through a game disc. still nothing!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright, do you have another Hard Drive you can try on your console, just to test? If so, please install the other hard drive and see if the console is able to update normally.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried clearing any failed system updates from your xbox?

To do this you need to:

1) make sure the system is turned off.

2) hold in the sync button on the front of the console

3) whilst still holding in the sync button turn the console on.

4) when the console is booted release the sync button and sign in as normal.

This should prompt you to update your console (if it's needed) and hopefully you won't get another corruption problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Aki - the LB RB X LB RB X method above does the same thing ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, I hadn't know that, sorry. That's much more efficient, I'll have to remember that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes like i posted in the beginning i tried my friends hard drive that works fine and that had the same problem

and yea i also tried clearing the update by the LB RB X LB RB X method and still when i restarted i got the error msg.

And now if i try to restart it to many times i get the red rings (Top left bottom left bottom right)

after getting red rings i called microsoft and went throught customer service and got a hold of someone and told them the problem and they suggested all the same methods i tried before and still nothing. They didnt know how to fix it so they took my number and told me they would call back within the next 24-48 hours but i still havent gotton a call and its been almost a week!!! -____- this is really bumming me out..

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there! If you are seeing these red lights at any time, you should set up a repair order on your console. You can do this through phone support (support.xbox.com/contact-us) or online (support.xbox.com/.../repair-process). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sorry this didn't help.