Hellooooo Microsoft wake up the FIFA hack is a problem!!!!!!!!!!

So every day I come on here and see someone new posting that the FIFA hack has happened to them. I work for a bank and have spoke with reps from VISA as in the credit card company  state that they get several of these a day.  My wife, who also works in a bank has had an employee, and customers come in stating they have had fraudulent charges to their account stemming from FIFA 2011 and 2012.  BUT according to microsoft and EA it's only a small number of people and not very common.  Yeah ok so xbox live has 50 million users even just 1% is 50,000 which is a lot in my book. So sure if you look at the percentage of people and say oh well its less than  1% no big deal.  Well I even a quarter % is 12500 people that all sounds like a pretty damn large number to me. Maybe thats why it take 3-6 months to resolve these cases.  I mean if you see a trend in a couple thousand people getting hacked just because it is a small overall percentage doesnt mean you just ignore it.  You report fraud to a major credit card company and they refund your money almost immediatley even if it's only provisional until they complete an investigation but at least they dont put you out for months!  

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yep.  Even if is is just phishing or brute force attacks rather than a security flaw, it is an issue.  The FIFA content has monetary value and gives people extra incentive to hack accounts, and buy the content that they can turn into cash.  They should just shut down that feature and not allow future games to have content that can be basically money laundered.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Shutting down Ultimate Team is like putting a band aid on a gun shot wound. Accounts will still go missing and enterprising sorts will find new ways to monetise them without selling them on first. If you were to shut down Ultimate Team EA would be well within their rights to demand that other games where you can trade items in game also have that feature shut down and that's a lot of games. Heck taken the entire way EA could demand that MS points be removed from the service because you can give them to accounts that are a part of the same family plan.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Definitley no problems with fifa hacking xboxlive.ign.com/.../1216502p1.html

Sorry this didn't help.

"They should just shut down that feature and not allow future games to have content that can be basically money laundered"

this a million times over, incentive and fincial gain is the real motivator here, yes it won't stop ALL account comprimising but you never WILL aslong as people are unsafe with their account info

Sorry this didn't help.

So when everyone goes back to using stolen accounts to buy their weight in MS points you'll be wanting that shut down as well? FF XI items? Dark Souls items? Madden 12 UT tat? MLB 2K players? PSU items? etc

Seriously people at least think about the long term implications of what you're demanding before demanding it and not just the perceived upsides.  

Sorry this didn't help.

this just happened to me and it really pissed me off

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think not allowing tradeable content that can be monetized would stop hackings.  Heck I had no Fifa content on mine, but probably just because I was home and on the computer when the migration to russia e-mail popped up so I called and got my account locked down right away.

Just saying, it's not a coincidence that there's this huge spike in accounts getting stolen right after there's a game with content that can be turned into money.  It's just extra incentive for hackers above and beyond just stealing MS points to buy stuff for themselves.

A better systems would also include having a seperate password for purchases that has to be entered everytime you want to buy something.  At least give users the option to enable such a feature.  That's at least one more layer of security to limit purchasing even if accounts are stolen, and maybe get some hackers to not bother since they can't really do anything if they only get someones WLID as they still need the other password to purchase anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem I'd have with a seperate password for purchases is that it's still circumvented if people pick god awful passwords or god forbid use the same password for both log ins. In an ideal world I'd want a variation of the Steam Guard system brought in. If your Steam account is logged into from a location that isn't your computer with the Guard enabled then a code is sent to your e-mail address which must be entered before you're allowed in. My variation would be allowing people to use a second e-mail to have the code sent to instead of just their WLID. 

EDIT: I stand corrected there's already something like that in place - http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/t/153143.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

That would be even better.  There just needs to be more security period.  Even with the double password, at least that's on the end user if they use weak passwords or use the same.

Not having to be linked to windows live would help as well IMO, as that's a big system and probably a big target for hackers.  I'd rather just have a console specific account that wasn't linked to any other online account system.

In general, I just hate this move online consoles have taken.  I don't enjoy multiplayer gaming, so I don't really get anything out of it but risk for stuff like this happening.  But can't really use a console offline anymore since so many games are releaesed broken and you need to be connected to get patches.  And you're forced to create a Live account as game saves etc. are attached to it.  I preferred when consoles were offline and simple and you didn't have to worry about all this kind of crap.  This may well be the last generation I bother with gaming.

Sorry this didn't help.

Could say that of all e-mail providers, you don't have to use Windows Live as the e-mail for an account if you'd prefer to use Yahoo, Gmail etc. 

Patches on consoles I welcome even if in an ideal world they wouldn't be needed. Then again I'm old enough to remember WWF No Mercy on the N64 and what went wrong there so I'm biased in a way.  

Sorry this didn't help.