Headsets - is it my console or am I doing something wrong?

Hiya!

I've been through 4 different official Xbox Live wired gamer headsets. And on all 4 of them I could not get the microphone to work. I have tried plugging them in to my Xbox Live chatpad, directly in to my Xbox wireless controller, nada. Nothing works.

Does anybody have any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Surely I can't be THAT unlucky to have 4 different headsets not work? :)

All accessories I use (chat pad, controllers etc) are official Microsoft Xbox products incidentally. :)

An incidental question - since I last tried I now have a Kinect, which has a microphone which works. Can you use Kinect and headsets together? My microphone is turned off on the Kinect.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

I've just tried again now with two headsets I have, and now the Xbox doesn't recognise them at all. I can hear the click in my ear when I plug the headset in but the sound still comes out of the TV. I have two controllers, both official Xbox controllers I have tested them on.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Press the Guide Button and go right twice to go to Preferences. Then under Voice, choose the headset option.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it was already set to that. I changed it and switched it back to headset and it still doesn't work. My console isn't even recognising that I have a headset plugged in any more, never mind the microphone. I want to buy a wireless headset but I'm thinking I don't want to waste my money if that  doesn't work either :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, have you had a chance to try a second controller with these headsets, or have you only tried on the one with and without the chatpad?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mister Fitzer! I've got two controllers and I've tried all the headphones I've had on both of them. I really don't know what's going on with it. Like I said I'm very tempted to try a wireless headset but I'm not sure if it will work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried checking your Online Safety Settings as well, to ensure that your communications aren't restricted at all?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup, that was one of the first things I checked. Kinect mic works fine, headsets don't :(. Even tried a pair of HTC microphones for my phone in the controller because I know they definitely work, and nothing happened on either controller.

Sorry this didn't help.

Miss: Can you tell us exactly what you are having trouble doing? Are you trying to chat, send voice messages, or something else? Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mr Gwyther. Just trying to use it for multiplayer games and to chat to my best friend who lives in the USA in party.. I'd like to use it for Live games, my kinect is good but unfortunately I have a small bird with a large voice! So unless the entire session wants to listen to my bird squaking I need to get a mic!. I've tried both party and sending voice messages and neither works. It doesn't even recognise the headset any more. :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you try recording a voice message with your headset. You don't have to send it, just record some noise and play it back. Does it record noise here?

Sorry this didn't help.