With the addition of the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter to the accessories family, your options for in-game and chat audio have greatly expanded. Here we have info on the official adapter, the Chat Headset, and the Stereo Headset. For the best assistance with 3rd party headsets, check out the manufacturer's support sites:
Xbox One Chat Headset
You don't need the adapter in order to use the wired Xbox One Chat Headset. This headset comes included with the Xbox One console. All you have to do is plug it straight into the bottom of the controller, and play! The headset's connector includes volume controls and a mute button. There are a few things you can do if you run into issues with this headset:
- Check your Kinect Chat settings. Press the Menu button and select Settings. Navigate to Kinect, and uncheck the box that enables Chat through Kinect.
- From the Home screen, Navigate to the sign-in screen (top left corner next to notifications) and select your profile, even if you're already signed in. This will re-assign your profile to your controller.
- Disconnect the headset by pulling firmly on the body of the connector (never pull on the cable!), and then reconnect it firmly.
- Make sure the headset is not muted. The mute button should not be lit up.
- Try using a different headset or controller - this isn't a permanent solution, it's just to check for hardware issues!
- If these don't solve the issue, then please try the solutions listed here, including how to test the headset for party chat.
Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter
Before you use your Stereo Headset Adapter for the first time, you'll need to install an update on your controller. Hit up this thread for info on how to do so. This article also includes a setup guide and common questions.
Note: Xbox 360 Wireless and Bluetooth Headsets are not compatible with Xbox One. Early editions of the wired Xbox 360 Headset (with the large connector to plug into the controller) are also not compatible due to the connector's design.
Xbox One Stereo Headset
The Stereo Headset offers premium game and chat audio control. Setup is quick and easy. For a how-to, as well as answers to common questions, click here.
If you are experiencing difficulty with a Chat Headset and/or the Headset Adapter, please start a new post in this forum with the following information:
- What accessories are you having trouble with? Please be specific and include the headset brand & model.
- Describe what is happening. Crackles and pops in party chat? Static on the home screen? No audio at all? Tell us everything.
- What have you tried so far? Please don't say "everything!" List what you've done so we don't ask you to repeat steps unnecessarily. The more details you provide, the faster we can find a solution!
- Are you in the Update Preview Program? If you are, please post in the Update Preview Forums (select the current wave) for the most effective and helpful support.