Headset is now set to mic monitoring only?

So I bought the Master Chief Collection 1TB bundle about two weeks ago and it comes with the "Xbox One Chat Headset" that, according to the support page, doesn't allow for game audio/music  to be played through. However it was only until recently that I learned this little detail, because up until a few days ago, I was able to hear music and gameplay just fine through it, albeit at a very low volume, but I have since adjusted that in the settings.

So one day, I turn on my xbox, plug in my headset, and get ready to play thinking that everything would work just the way it was when I last played. Turns out, I can't hear anything through the headset anymore. After some time testing with another controller, checking NAT settings (open) and several attempts at hard resetting my xbox, I discover that there IS a sound coming out of the headset. It's my own voice. I can't hear anyone/anything else, I can't record messages/talk to anyone. I can only talk to myself.

After some additional testing in the volume control under the controller/devices settings (and by testing, i mean frantically raising/lowering both the headset volume and mic monitoring controls while simultaneously toggling the mute button on my headset and playing music in the media player app; to see if the sound would kick in at some point.)

Eventually, oddly enough, music did randomly kick in at some point during these tests and the game audio was working as well. Everything was good for a few hours, until the batteries on my controller died and I replaced them only seconds later. And then the sound was gone again and I could only hear myself. Repeated attempts at my previous "solution" have not been successful, so now I ask if anyone else has had this happen to them as well and if there is something I'm missing here?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

I'd like to add that I did try out different batteries as well.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.