HDTV Optimal resolution 1080i?

Hi all, i have a fairly new Sanyo 1080p full hd tv, it supports 1080p definately and when set to 1080p games like red dead redemption look amazing, however when I set it to 1080i it looks alot worse, but when I got to the display settings the optimal resolution sets to 1080i.

Can anyone tell me the reason for this please? I have searched around and found nothing. Also can anyone tell me the recommended 'Reference Levels', 'HDMI Color Space' and 'Display Discovery' settings?  I am fairly new to all of this stuff, I have calibrated my picture though and can't really seem to tell much of a difference but I am not entirely sure as it means quitting games and changing settings.

Any help much appreciated thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 50 Applies to:

Hey mate, I'm not sure why your console thinks that 1080i is the recommended setting for your TV--personally, I recommend going with the 1080p whenever possible. As for the other settings, I recommend playing around with them to see how they affect your display. Every TV is a little different and what works for one set might not be ideal for another. If anyone would like to offer suggestions, by all means go ahead, but in these cases I think experimentation is the best route.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree with Mister Fitzer, the best way to go about things would be to experiment with the different settings as it might be good for me, but not so good for your liking.

Anyway first try to reset your display settings. To do that , turn off the Xbox and turn it on with a controller using the Guide Button. While turing it on, press and hold the Right Trigger and Y at the same time until the Xbox Logo appears.

If that doesn't work, you will have to choose 1080p manually. Here are my settings, in case you want to know:

HDTV Settings: 1080p
Reference Levels: Expanded
HDMI Colour Space: Auto
Display Discover: Enabled

I also have my TV set to "Just Scan", so that the whole screen is displayed on a  1:1 ratio, without cutting bits on each side.

You also have to note that most games on the Xbox 360 is 720p, and when you set it to 1080p, it is upscaled, so it's not a true 1080p picture. I hope this helps :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.