HDMI/Audio - HDMI to Computer Monitor, Audio adapter to Analog (red/white) problems

I have a new XBOX without harddrive.  I believe they call it the XBOX slim (It's black and 1 year, or so, old).

When I connect an HDMI cable to my computer monitor and turn on the XBOX the picture works fine, but there is no sound, as I do not have speakers in the computer monitor.  This is expected.

When I tried to attach both the HDMI cable and the factory "big chunky" adapter with all the composite video and analog audio cables in it, it didn't fit.  It has a plastic tab that stops this and an HDMI cable from being inserted in at the same time.  I cut the tab off and tried both cables at the same time.  This does not work.  I receive sound that seems like the XBOX is in some sort of continual reboot mode, and I receive no picture.  Okay, perhaps I was a little aggressive and the plastic tab is for a reason :)  Perhaps this comfuses a video output decision.

I then buy a non-Microsoft "big chunky" audio adapter which has the red and white analog outputs and the tosllink output and now video output from the cable.  I can now plug in the HDMI cable and the new "big chunky" audio adapter.  Unfortunately I receive the same result as my physical hack I performed when I cut the big plastic tab off of the original cable so I could insert both the HDMI cable and the "big chunky" adapter.

What is going on here?

1.  Is it that my non-Microsoft audio adapter is not really good for it's purpose? -- However, if I leave only it plugged in, I do get good sound, so it is doubtful this is a bad cable.

2.  My HDMI cable is bad - Doubtful, as it works without having either the original "big chunky" adapter in, or the new non-Microsoft cable.

3.  Is it that you must use the new XBOX slim toslink output in conjunction with the HDMI cable if you want audio piped somewhere?  (Meaning, the computer monitor has no speakers, so the HDMI cable may transmit the sound if you have a television hookup, but none with monitor use.  You must use the toslink cable for sound.)

I have come to the belief that number 3 is the correct answer, but this is a major pain.  I will have to buy a digital to analog converter to work with headphones I have that use the analog signal (red/white jacks).  I don't want to have to buy a new set of headphones that can use the toslink output.

What is the cheapest way to get analog sound output from the HDMI to monitor hookup?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 21 Applies to:

As you have a 360 S, there's an optical output on the back of the console. Something like a FiiO digital to analog audio adapter would work to convert that from optical to left/right stereo. From there you just need an RCA cable to go to your choice of output - mini jack, mini plug, or whatever other form you'd like left/right analog audio in.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you.  The FiiO digital to analog audio adapter looks like a robust product for a very cheap price.  I saw other adapters and they looked cheap and were about 3 times the price.  Great answer.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="SufficingPear"]1.  Is it that my non-Microsoft audio adapter is not really good for it's purpose? -- However, if I leave only it plugged in, I do get good sound, so it is doubtful this is a bad cable.[/quote]

This could be the problem. There are many reports in the forums of non-Microsoft audio adapters having  incorrect internal configuration, such that the console thinks the adapter is also a video output and incompatible with using HDMI at the same time. The console does not support having two video-capable outputs connected, which is why Microsoft built the video adapters to block the HDMI port.

Sorry this didn't help.

MS stopped selling their own adapter a while ago. I've seen at least two postings so far that indicate the Mad Catz replacement has issues. If you're on an older console, you're kinda out of luck if you don't have an adapter by now. New consoles at least have the optical port so a digital to analog adapter's a possiblity.

Sorry this didn't help.