HDMI+Analog Audio. Please Help.

I just recently purchased a brand new HP 2311x LED monitor to use for my Xbox 360. Now, I've always used my monitors for my gaming (I hate playing on big HDTVs), but this time I have the possibility to use HDMI. The problem is, the monitor doesn't have internal speakers (not that I'd use em anyways), so I wanted to stick with the orig. Analog audio connecter.

I went ahead and tried it out and it DOES work but....when I turn them on, my monitor scans all the source outputs multiple times while the 360 is booting up. After a few seconds my monitor stops scanning and my 360 reboots, then my monitor goes into sleep mode and my 360 reboots yet again, then FINALLY it starts up and I get picture and sound.

Sometimes it won't work though and I'll get the "check video cable" message on my monitor. I've watched many videos of people using this exact method, but none seem to have this problem.

What do you guys think it could be and is there a way I can get it to not do that, as it's extremely annoying and frustrating. Sorry for long post, and thanks.

OH one last thing (sorry), my monitor has an "Auto-Switch" feature which I have turned off and I even set the default source output as "HDMI".

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I have posted this on 3 different forums and not one person can give me an answer?  Come on...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="PROF4NE"]I wanted to stick with the orig. Analog audio connecter.[/quote]Mind clarifying this?

Are you using the thin AV breakout that comes with the HDMI AV kit, or did you somehow fit a standard AV port cable in alongside the HDMI cable?

The AV port pins determine how audio and video are handled. In the case of the thin AV breakout, it's pined to indicate that video is via HDMI. Using an AV port cable that has video out on it will not work properly.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm using a home remedy I saw on YouTube, where you can take the plastic casing off the component/composite AV cable.  I can't afford the official HDMI adapter from MS right now, plus my VGA cable somehow got busted.

Assuming from what you just told me, there's no other way around it unless I actually do get the official adpater?

OFF TOPIC - But how the hell do you quote replies now?  I haven't been on here much since the revamp.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would really suggest using an HDMI adapter - modifications to any part of the console, including the A/V cables, voids your warranty, and is against the Terms of Use.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="PROF4NE"]I'm using a home remedy I saw on YouTube, where you can take the plastic casing off the component/composite AV cable.[/quote]Yeah... that doesn't work properly.[quote]I can't afford the official HDMI adapter[/quote]A used one from GameStop or eBay should be $10 or less.[quote]But how the hell do you quote replies now?[/quote]Use rich formatting, though the board now supports some BB-like tags.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can either get the official HDMI cable or the official VGA cable. Both  of which contains the audio adapter, which is required for connecting to a PC/Monitor which has speakers.

Sorry this didn't help.