HDMI

Hi, could someone please help. My Xbox was working fine through a HDMI cable, until I had to unplug it to set it up on a new cupboard.

Now when I switch it on all I get is a message saying "Mode Not Supported." It will work through the AV cords but I don't like to play through

AV as it is not as clear.

What I Have Tried: I have tried a new HDMI cable, still got the "Mode Not Supported" message. I have checked the cable in another brand of game console on the same TV, it worked fine. I've tried resetting the display by doing the press and hold Y and right trigger button on starting up the console that didn't work still get the "Mode Not Supported" message. I have tried clearing the system cache, that didn't work.

I would love to hear from you If you have any ideas on what you think may fix it that I haven't already tried. I do not have my console connected to the internet. I have only had the console for 4 months and I am still learning about it, as I have never owned an Xbox before, and at this point I don't think I would get another one. If you can't do something as simple as take a cable out and put it back in without having problems it's not good :( 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 63 Applies to:

ello there settlingcoma643,

it seems like you have checked the cable, cleared cache, reset display but have you tried changing the display setting on your television?

when using the HDMI and something like the xbox 360 you may need to match display settings or to a setting that the tv will accept. try resetting the xbox once more (RT & Y button trick) and then try to mess with your televisions display settings and see if the message stays or not.    

making sure your xbox is at its basic display settings will give you the best chance because most TVs accept it. bottom line what im saying is i believe its the tv.

I hope this works out for you, and i too have wanted to give my xbox a killer drop kick but i believe the satisfaction it provides when it does work makes up for it. have a nice night

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

One thing you did not say you tried is plugging the HDMI cord into a different HDMI connection in to the back of your TV. EXAMPLE-switching from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 then changing the input. This is the problem a lot of the times. As where one of them is for input and one of the is for output and people don't even realize it. You didn't say what kind of TV you have so I can't check but if it is a TV with only 2 HDMI slots or 3 this is most likely your problem. Plug it into a different one then change the input to match the slot setting and it just might work. @DeBalrog I really do not think it is the TV display settings because when you start an Xbox with HDMI it automatically goes to the optimized setting for that TV

Sorry this didn't help.

To, DeBalrog and Pauilejoseph.

Thank you for your replies......

Yes I have tried both suggestions and still get "Mode Not Supported." I have also tried changing the settings blindly, because as you both most likely know the HD settings done come up on the xbox unless the HD cable is connected. My TV has HDMI port 1 and 3, and port 2 is HDMI/DVI?????????????

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for covering something i didn't pauilejoseph. Also addressing the TV display, my TV will not automatically switch to the optimal display settings when using an HDMI cable with any machine if its xbox, blue ray, etc. If your Tv does do that then lucky you and where can I get a TV like yours because mines lamp just went out and im tired of buying new ones for 200 bucks a pop haha

My solution is just the most common one I found and what helped it when my cable wasnt working but Im stumped with this all I can say is look over the TV manual, if you have it, check what kind of inputs would be best for a gaming console or call microsoft and actually speak with someone there who can walk you through any steps to solve the problem also maybe there is a possibility that there is something wrong with the xbox's HDMI output slot :[

I wish you the best luck :/

Sorry this didn't help.

^^^^^^ Yes my tv does switch to the optimal settings automatically with HDMI it's a Samsung series 6. And also everything I own runs through an Onkyo 7.1 Home Theater surround sound w/ HDMI and no matter what I change it to cable,blu-ray, etc, etc it will always change to the optimal settings. But that is getting off topic of the op. @settlingcoma I think DeBalrog hit the nail right on the head when he said there is something wrong with the Xbox's HDMI slot. An XBOX always resets itself to the default setting. Meaning if you use Audio/Video cables it will know, if you shut it off and change it over to HDMI it will know an adjust itself to support the HDMI. Now since it is not doing that there is a problem and to me I do not think it is the TV. You have tried everything you possibly can. And everything that everyone had suggested to you. You have had the console for 4 months and I don't know if you bought the store warranty, if so please bring it back and get a new one and if you can't do that please call customer support and let them know what you are going through. Let them know that you have tried every avenue in the world and that it is not your tv and you need a repair. Even if you called them already and they said contact your tv company call them back and let them know it's not your tv. Sometimes they can be tough but just the fact that you used another console with the same HDMI input lets me know that it is not the TV. I also noticed what you said about this is  your first XBOX and if you cant do something as simple as  take a cable out and put it back in without having problems it's not good :( ...............well normally you can and that is why everyone is stumped and you are not receiving the help you deserve. Please trust me when I say it is 99% the HDMI slot and normally you can change the wires all you want. Do not just stand by and do nothing and play with audio/video cables as that defeats the purpose of the HD console.  

Also please post an update I am very curious where this goes. Also I am going to send someone else to this thread who is very knowledgeable about this stuff and let's see if he agrees with what I have said..........Good Luck

Sorry this didn't help.

^^^^ best detailed answer for an extremely frustrating subject that i have seen on the forums haha Im very interested if your problem gets fixed or not as well remember that if anything suggested works or if you fix it another way to post up the solution as it may help someone with a similar issue.

Again best of luck and if worse comes to worse i hope you still have some type of warranty still on the console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Good answer paulie -

If the another console is work with the same equipment then it sounds like a faulty setting or hardware with the console. If you are able to test the First console on the other TV with HDMI to see if displays correctly, Try setting the console to the lowest resolution and take it back to the Unsupported Mode TV and see if it displays.

What is the model of TV?

And you have done both -

support.microsoft.com/.../en-gb

And This was a user who was having the same problem, and he did the steps in a very distinct fashion TV on, then Xbox on etc..

forums.xbox.com/.../43315.aspx

Also HDMI/DVI ports are better for the PC use.

Sorry this didn't help.