HDMI vs Composite

What looks/sounds better i with the Xbox? Currently I'm using a composite and it looks great, but I've been told that the HDMI looks and sounds a lot better.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 24 Applies to:

Generally HDMI is better, but it can depend on the TV. You can usually find cheap HDMI cords on amazon.com or newegg.com for $2-$4, so it's probably worth trying out.

I have both. One xbox in the game room is composite HD so I can hook it up to a speaker system easier and the one in my room is HDMI. I really can't tell the difference.

You mean Component HD right? There is no such thing as Composite HD.  If you want the best picture possible you should be using HDMI.  Component HD is analogue, HDMI is digital.  Also HDMI will upscale standard definition DVD movies, component HD will only play them in 480p.

Yea sorry Component HD. The Component HD cables will display in 720p or 1080i/p for games on the xbox though.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/cablesnetworking/Xbox360ComponentHDCable

[quote user="xShadowHedgehog"]

What looks/sounds better i with the Xbox? Currently I'm using a composite and it looks great, but I've been told that the HDMI looks and sounds a lot better.

[/quote]

I take it you are referring to the Red, Blue, Green YPbPr (Yipper) cables right? As there is no such thing as composite H.D.

-

The differences between the Yipper cables and HDMI really depend on your television.

-

I run my 360 through the Yipper cables and I have thought about getting HDMI but when I spoke to the salesperson in GAME he told me that if you have a TV smaller than 40 inches (mine is a 26 inch TV) the differences are negligible. After hearing that I left it and carried on using my Yipper cables.

[quote user="ILOVEBAY0n37T4"]

[quote user="xShadowHedgehog"]

[/quote]

I take it you are referring to the Red, Blue, Green YPbPr (Yipper) cables right? As there is no such thing as composite H.D.

-

The differences between the Yipper cables and HDMI really depend on your television.

-

I run my 360 through the Yipper cables and I have thought about getting HDMI but when I spoke to the salesperson in GAME he told me that if you have a TV smaller than 40 inches (mine is a 26 inch TV) the differences are negligible. After hearing that I left it and carried on using my Yipper cables.

[/quote]Component cables are capable of doing 1080p, but most tv makers make their tvs to go as high as 1080i on them.  I don't know how much I can truly believe from a sales person, but then again I have met some real shady ones. :)  I noticed with the tv that I have that the colors and picture looked more vibrant with HDMI than it did with Component, and I have my tv calibrated.  Also there are no 1080p games for the 360, so it could be a moot point anyways.

You will get great picture with both, HDMI is nice because it also carries your audio in a nice small package. instead of 5 separate connections.

lopes_soldier

It really depends on the TV you are using.  If you have a 1080p screen, definately go with a HDMI.  I saw a difference switching between a HDMI cable and component cables.  Any other screen resolution and I saw little to no change.

HDMI is the better choice for graphics.

[quote user="B4RevenantGamer"]HDMI is the better choice for graphics.[/quote]For gaming, there's no difference as long as the cabling and electronics in the analog video path are of sufficient quality.

For video, the 360 won't upsample to 1080p over Component. That's a decision made to appease the Content industry. It will upsample over VGA (another analog format),  the only difference being that the Content industry is ok with the VGA loophole.