HDMI / RGB Cables

Hi guys, I was wondering if i should use an HDMI cable, RGB cables, or both. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum either. When I got my XBOX 360 it only came with the regular red, white, and yellow cables. I was fine with that until I saw my friends with HDMI cables and RGB cables. They both say I should just use that. Should I? Which is better or should I use both? Sorry I dont know a lot about this stuff.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 20 Applies to:

Go for hdmi if you have the option.  My xbox is the older one with no hdmi output but would be running that if I could.  If you need a long length run, check out monoprice.com - way better prices than futureshop, bestbuy etc.

GO with the HDMI Cable You would only want to have the RGB cables if you switch to tvs that dont support hdmi frequently.

You can't use both! On the slim it actually has a tab that covers the HDMI socket when the RGB component cable is in, if you have a HDMI cable use that, if you don't go pick one up, they're great, and allot easier to use than component cables due to there being only 2 ends to plug in instead of 5.

you will notice a vastly improved picture with hdmi over rgb.

so much so that youll wonder how you actually played without it,its that much better.

If you have a newer Slim model. I would use HDMI video cables and if you have a surround sound setup. I would suggest using the optical audio output on the Slim 360. I have been using this setup for years at least the audio setup. The optical audio to me seems to be the best audio option around.

As others have mentioned use HDMI over RGB, but it really all depends on your current setup.  Does your TV have HDMI inputs?  The RGB doesn't carry audio, it's only for video, so you would need to use an optical cable in addition to it.  Whereas HDMI carries both audio & video in a single cable that outperforms the combination of RGB/Optical.

Do you have a Home Theater setup?  If so, does the receiver have HDMI in & out?  

Microsoft Movies & TV Team

[quote user="airmattdog"]The RGB doesn't carry audio, it's only for video[/quote]

Yes it does, there are 6 plugs on the old model of cable, 3 for SD and 3 for HD video, and when you use the 3 for HD video you use the 2 audio ones from the SD part with them.

[quote user="Outofthi5world"]

[quote user="airmattdog"]The RGB doesn't carry audio, it's only for video[/quote]

Yes it does, there are 6 plugs on the old model of cable, 3 for SD and 3 for HD video, and when you use the 3 for HD video you use the 2 audio ones from the SD part with them.

[/quote]

You're confusing the actual RGB adapter (what I'm referring to, which does have two seperate L/R RCA cables for Audio) with the Component cable.

Microsoft Movies & TV Team

[quote user="airmattdog"]

[quote user="Outofthi5world"]

[/quote]

You're confusing the actual RGB adapter (what I'm referring to, which does have two seperate L/R RCA cables for Audio) with the Component cable.

[/quote]

Sorry then, you're right.

If you're using the Red/White/Yellow cable you're not even using any kind of HD and any other connection type will look massively better.

The next best quality wise (ignoring the scart option , which is the same as above but with a different connector) will be the Cable with 6 connectors, As Outofthi5world says, it has the Red/white (Sound) , Yellow (composite video, the worst quality of all) and then a Red/Blue/Green (RGB) cable. Using the RGB cable for video, and the Red/White for the sound it will provide a massive improvement over using the Yellow plug for Video. Next up is the VGA cable (same plug as a PC monitor) only marginally better than RGB and can be very dependant on your display, but again massively improved over that Yellow plug.

Top of the heap, HDMI, carries the audio too but not available on every older Xbox.

Obviously this all depends on what inputs your Display device has !