HDMI PORT

I purchased an xbox 360 elite about 8 months ago and only recently tried to connect it to the tv using the HDMI port but found that the composite AV cable blocks the HDMI port on the back of my console. it is the coposite AV cable that came with the console new an unopend in the box. did microsoft supply me with the wrong composite av cable or do i have to buy an alternate cable to use my HDMI connection?   

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

So you are trying to use both the HDMI and AV cable at the same time? What are you trying to do?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You don need to have the AV and hdmi plugged in at the same time cause sound and picture go through the hdmi cable.

As for why you cant have both plugged in is because the hdmi port was an after thought on MS part. The first Xbox's to come out only had the AV plug.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Gimmyaname"]As for why you cant have both plugged in is because the hdmi port was an after thought on MS part.[/quote]

Not surprisingly, this is wrong. The AV cables block the HDMI port because the console should not have two video outputs active at the same time. Microsoft sells a bundle of an HDMI cable and an audio-only cable/dongle, which has red/white analog outputs and an optical digital output. The 360S doesn't need the special audio-only dongle because it has optical output built-in, but if you needed analog audio in addition to the HDMI cable you'd need that audio adapter.

Sorry this didn't help.