HDMI Port not Working

Ok, about 3 months ago I moved my Xbox 360 S up from my basement to my living room and connected it to my tv using my HDMI cord, it didn't work. For the last 3 months I have had to use the compound (is that the right word?) cable that came with my Xbox, which looks terrible. Its not my cable, because I bought a new one, and it's not my tv because I tried my other one. I did every trouble-shooting idea I have found, nothing has worked. I actually did talk to support about it, but apparently my warranty ran up 2 weeks before a year, so they didn't do anything.  If anyone has anything that has worked for them, could you please tell me, it's really annoying, and I'd prefer not buy a new Xbox.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Hey.Have you tried hooking other HDMI devices up to see if they work?And have you made sure you switched to HDMI in the settings area of your 360? Also iam sure you did but in case you didnt try other HDMI Ports on your tv...If nothing works then its your 360....Be sure to check your settings on your tv as well.Good luck..

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

In addition to what jaspertodd suggested, have you tried connecting your Xbox to a different HDMI device? maybe a friend's TV or a monitor. Bonus if they already have a 360 hooked up, so you'll know if it's yours or theirs.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you've swapped cables and tried different devices, then it's pretty much narrowed down to your XBox itself.  Sadly, there is likely something wrong with your HDMI port.

Component shouldn't be that much worse though.  Composite is the yellow, red, white cables, while Component is the Red, Green, Blue + Red, White cables.  Make sure you are connecting Component and make sure that the switch on your adapter, at the base where it connects to the XBox, is switched to HD.  

HDMI carries a digital signal, as does a component cable on HD quality.  Digital signal means it either gets there or doesn't, there should be almost no difference in quality.  The only issue you might have is that a lot of TVs don't support 1080p on Component, but you can still hit 1080i or 720p on them, so still HD quality for sure.

And, of course, you can always send back your XBox and get it repaired.

Sorry this didn't help.