HDMI Pass Through

I get a "No Signal" from my TV when my Xbox is turned off. I thought HDMI pass through (DVR ->XBOX->TV) would allow me to use my TV without having to turn the XBOX on? Is this a wrong assumption?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

People have the misconception of HDMI pass through. All this means is that the HDMI signal from your cable box is "passed through" the Xbox one. If your Xbox isn't on, it won't be able to pass the signal through.

Any chance this could change?  My wife already hates trying to use the tv with the xbox and I'm not sure I prefer using the xbox when I want to just watch tv.

Currently you need the console on if you are passing TV through it. I hope they update it to passthrough while off like my Google TV.

I'm sure this is something MS is looking into. I have my tv on constantly throughout the day for my kids and I was a little hesitant to let my Xbox run so much, but after today, I can see there won't be any problem. My DVR is the one that runs really hot. But I get the whole wife scenario. I'm just teaching mine how to use it going through the X1.

Put me down in favor of this as well.  I really like the novelty of interacting with the XBox, and having the NFL app snapped while watching the games made for a great experience.  At the same time, I really don't like the idea of having to have the XBox powered up just to watch TV.  I want a true passive pass-through that will work even when the XBox is powered down. If requiring power is "baked into" the hardware, they may be able to get around it by developing a low-power state that keeps the box essentially "off" while allowing the HDMI to pass-through.

Anyone know if this (passive hdmi pass through) was addressed in the recent update?  My wife has threaten to cut me off if I hook the cable box back up to the Xbox.  Easy choice for me.

@Waff. It still has to be on to view TV if you have your cable box hooked up to the Xbox One.

HDMI to TV is just fantastic. I am able to view all TV stations now in full 1080P resolution. It's like watching a blue ray disk. I have DTV so I have channeled the signal to my xb1, via HDMI in, the HDMI out goes into my Denon 3808CI AVR which outputs the signal to my TV. This is a huge innovation. Before I was getting 1080I which is the best any tv on the market do. Now I get full 1080P all the time just like watching blue ray.

[quote user="X LET IT B X"]

HDMI to TV is just fantastic. I am able to view all TV stations now in full 1080P resolution. It's like watching a blue ray disk. I have DTV so I have channeled the signal to my xb1, via HDMI in, the HDMI out goes into my Denon 3808CI AVR which outputs the signal to my TV. This is a huge innovation. Before I was getting 1080I which is the best any tv on the market do. Now I get full 1080P all the time just like watching blue ray.

[/quote]

At least you get a kick out of being fooled by upscaling. No broadcast channel transmits in 1080p. Its still either 1080i or 720p till stations are provided a better compression technique to allow bandwidth for actual 1080p. Still, upscaled 1080p from 1080i may look a little sharper, but certainly not blu-ray quality.

I wouldn't call it upscaling going from 1080i to 1080p, but de-interlacing or I/P conversion. The one in the Xbox One might be pretty decent courtesy of AMD, and better or worse than the one in the display itself.

Poor I/P conversion may attempt to hide its flaws by softening the picture to hide feathering artifacts, or become soft as a consequence of reverting to bobbing rather than weaving fields. Of course, bobbing can be seen as a form of upscaling.

But if things look better through the Xbox One even with things that have a full 50 or 59.94 Hz motion portrayal plus fast movement, like broadcast sports, then I'm a bit skeptical. For things that have a 23.976 or 25 Hz motion portrayal, I would imagine the Xbox One does I/P conversoin pretty well.

Makes me wish I had an Xbox One so I could put it through its paces... :)