HDMI not displaying

Hi there,
I've had my Xbox 360 elite 250gb model (the MW2 promo one) connected to a Hannspree Xm-S 19" monitor* for about a year or so. I'd disconnect it and move it to other TVs the odd time, but not often. These moves went by without incident, until recently.
About two weeks ago I took the console round to my friends house, played a bit of Halo 4, brought it home. The next day I went to connect it back up to my monitor, and I got nothing from HDMI. I tried a couple of different cables, both ways round, and still nothing.
I then moved the Xbox to another TV in the house, used component cables and got it to work fine, but still couldn't get any signal from the HDMI port.
The monitor would flicker, as if it knew there was some input, and then flash up the message "no signal detected", the TV (A Panasonic 32" model)  just remained blank, with both of it's HDMI ports.
Naturally, I assumed that it was broken, and since I'm beyond warranty and I know a guy, I took it to get fixed. However, when the repair guy tried to replicate the problem, he couldn't; the HDMI worked perfectly fine with any TV or Monitor he connected it to.
After we stared puzzled for a while, I took it home with me again, significantly more confused. 

After trying literally everything I can think of, I'm still stumped.

I've been trawling through anything i can find on the Internet for the past week or so, trying anything that is suggested, in the hope that it would work, but still nothing.
Here's what's been tried, to the best of my memory:
-All cables used work fine with other HDMI devices in the Monitor and TV
-TV and Monitor's HDMI ports work fine
-Xbox outputs HDMI, just not in my house
-Display settings have been tried and tested; I get no signal on any setting available to me, either with the Monitor TV of Xbox
-I have no option to disable 'Display Discovery'
-I've tried the Y+Rtrigger reset thing, and got nothing. (apparently that only works for component or composite)
-I have changed the display settings of the TV and monitor, still nothing
-I'm not buying an HDMI switcher. Firstly, I'm a student and that costs money. Secondly, it's caused this issue for others, not fixed it.
-Component outputs just fine, but I'd need HDMI for my monitor

I'm kinda at my wits end here, and I've heard the phrase 'Have you tried turning it off and on again' more times than any man ever should.
I've tried everything I've encountered on these forums, and I've listed as much as i can remember above, so please don't give me those things for answers!
But on the other hand, any help here would be greatly appreciated!!
I'm sure the issue is with my Xbox, as it worked fine with the monitor and TV before, but now refuses to.
Please help!!
(Honestly, I've been itching to get stuck into the next episodes of Spartan Ops and the wait is killing me!!)

*note: Monitor only has VGA and HDMI inputs for video, HDMI is set to 720p 60HZ (98% sure of this)
other note: this Xbox is definitely well past warranty, and was 2nd hand when i bought it (again, student!) so sending it to Microsoft isn't a feasible option. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Ok first off. Please dont take your console to get fixed by anyone other than official Microsoft. it can get you at risk for a console ban.

Second off. Ill poke around and see if i can figure out something you havent tried yet

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried different HDMI cable? would i be right by thinking HDMI is still fine on your friends tv, maybe worth going over hooking it up to your freinds display device and putting it into AV mode, then plug into your hdmi it should automatically change to support hd.

Edit: also try changing the device Hz, it may not support it or something, just trying to help :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, did you try turning it off and on again :) ok enough frivolity.

Now I'm not 100% certain this will work for you but it has for some people with this issue, it involves blindly setting your display settings, so connect the HDMI cable and give this a try if you feel lucky.

-

power the console on using your controller and wait a minute to be sure the console reaches the dashboard. Please do any up/down/left/right using the dpad.

-

up once

right six times

down once

press A 4 times

up twice ( if you get no display try starting over and up three or four times )

press A Twice

down once

press A

When the going gets tough find something easier to do.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sage to Rage:

thanks for the help, I appreciate it

PoutyPillow01:

Tried different cables, tried different Hz settings too.

I might take a drive over to my friends though, it's worth a shot

ThingOnAString:

Unfortunately I've tried that a few times, all to no avail.

I also tried it with component in, and then switching to HDMI, but still nothing.  :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I think if you change your settings to Standard Def then you can disable Display Detect. This "feature" has caused a lot of issue with my theater surround set up since they added in an update a little while back.

Sorry this didn't help.

It sounds like the resolution over hdmi was set to something that is not supported by your monitor.  Doing this should fix it for you. [View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnhdbrEZhY]

Sorry this didn't help.

"tootall20050," If I could give you 30 stars I would. I spent 4 years in a test environment where I had to memorize the process to setting Xbox's back to usable resolutions. If I had this trick, I'm not sure it would work, but I would have loved to have tried. You are easily the hero of the day.

People should herald your children as "Son of the Hero." If only for a day. -Adam

Sorry this didn't help.

hello , me too i have this hdmi problem there is no display no sound and the xbox  360 (arcade) doesn't reach the dashbord with the hdmi cable and  i tried everything on the net ,playing with low graphism is infernal . Please help me !!

Sorry this didn't help.

same problem in my RCA and my xbox 360

Sorry this didn't help.

CaptMediocre:

I appreciate the reply 6 months after the question was posted!

I'd tried that, and I had no option for detecting dislay. Thanks anyway though :)

tootall20050:

Thanks for the video response. I tried that multiple times though (as i said in my initial question) and got nowhere with it. Thanks anyway though!

ansomniac and blacklight1212:

I have since rectified the problem.

I bought  new xbox and sold that one on.

I appreciate that's not really a fix to the problem, but I'd exhausted everything else! Managed to nab a slim 250gb off ebay fairly cheap and sell my current one on for a similar price, so it ended up costing me about £30 overall, which wasn't bad. Sorry that i never figured this one out, I'd love to have helped. Maybe give some of the suggestions up the page a try, but after that I'm not much use to you, sorry :(

Sorry this didn't help.